Friday, March 14, 2008

On Any Given Day


Alex Shapiro wrote a piece of music titled UNABASHEDLY, running 13 minutes.
Alan Chapman wrote about it, "It is music that defies gravity."
Alex described it in the CD liner notes:

On Any Given Day

On any given
day,
in any given
order,
my emotions span
a very wide range.

No,
I am not depressed, manic,
nor schizophrenic;
at least not
officially.
But I am deeply
aware;
sensitive to
the extremes
of joy and pain
on this little planet
of ours.

In the midst
of such a spectrum,
we need beauty
and truth
for out sanity.

I try to create
an open conduit
for those qualities
through music;
hoping
that the sounds
will elicit
a similar response
from you—
as that which
spurred me to string
these notes together.

Uneasy melancholy,
anger and despair,
quirky acceptance
and calm,
and yes,
complete elation.
This is just a glimpse
of the world
around us,
on any given day,
in any given order.

In art
we can put
these emotions forth
in a very specific order, if
we so choose,
and in a very direct
manner.
We can communicate
as passionately
and blatantly
as we wish.
And I do.
Unabashedly.

Alex Shapiro 2006

No comments: