Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Half-Light


Half-Light


by Laura Tohe


My son and I sat on the bed of a late half-light
from the hallway slanted across gray walls.
He spoke of toes and scratches,
and I comforted in the desert tones of our language
we left behind across winter dry plains.

His brown eyes
alive,
glowing in the shadows with eternal life,
gaze at me
feeling the sounds of these words
I so seldom speak.

In this moment caught between languages
we shared my words
as if they were secrets
nourished within this half-light.


From No Parole Today, West End Press.
© 1999 Laura Tohe

2 comments:

Poetmeister said...

I love that this poem is universal and will survive the ages, beautifully written, and I love these lines-

"His brown eyes
alive,
glowing in the shadows with eternal life,"

It is just a thing of beauty to get the sense of eternity, God, and His children, through the most simple of words.

Thank you for introducing me to yet another amazing poet, Glenn.

Poetmeister said...

BTW, Glenn, please note Poetmeister 4 Poets! new location here on Blogger at -

http://poetmeister4poets.blogspot.com/

I have put up your masterpiece Golgatha on both my blogs and don't want you to miss it. Thank you, dear {{{hug}}}