Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday the 13th



image borrowed from bing


Friday the 13th

“Friday the 13th doesn’t mean a thing to me. My
luck sucks every day--so what’s the difference?”
--Rodney Dangerfield.


Tis
the most
dreaded day
of the year;

Mickey Spillane,
Julia Child,
Chet Baker,
Tupac Shakur,

all died
on it;

the Costa Concordia
hit a rock
& sunk
on it.

Fridays
have been
considered unlucky
ever since
Christ
was crucified
on one. 

12 
has a
completeness;
13
is a
transgression--

or
it might be
lucky.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over on G-Man's Flash 55

Would you like to hear the author read this 55 to you?

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

you know i went all day and did not realize it was friday the 13th...my son has been sick today and just did not even realize it...but i guess you can see where the superstition comes from eh?

my 55 is here

Joseph Hesch said...

Great bit of history and wit. And I loved your reading. As soon as my baritone gets back from the cleaners, I'll record some of mine.

Great job, Glenn!

brudberg said...

Indeed... and it's also 2013.. great thoughts... but friday is still friday

Anonymous said...

Interesting. It says a lot about us... how we attribute some days to be grim and unlucky. Though it is now left to be a part of cultural joke, I think there are still some who fear the day.
-HA

G-Man said...

Hey The Mega-Millions is 425 Million tonight!! Thanks for reminding me.
I'm not a believer in this kind of stuff, but it makes for some great writing...Like Yours!!
Loved your Triskaidekaphobic 55
Thanks for playing and sharing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

Outlawyer said...

Ha, But sounds like it was a lucky day for you. K. Manicddaily.

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

I like the number 13. But I'm a bad-ass that way.

Claudia said...

that's interesting...there's big symbolism in numbers...i know that in asia none of the appartment houses has a 13th storey because it's an unlucky number for them... smiles... thought i'd pop in to see if you had a new poem up and to wish you a blessed and merry christmas time..