Monday, July 23, 2018

The Studio

























image from pinterest


The Studio

Youth is  gift of nature, but age is 
a work of art.”--Stanislaw Jerzy Lec.

My grandfather was a wonderful artist. His style
was like Charles Russell met Frank Frazetta. He
lived on a couple of acres along the Spokane
River. He converted an outbuilding into his studio.
It had several windows for the natural light. There
was a cold pantry in there too, so the air wafted of
apples and potatoes. It was the smells I remember-
ed most--oil paints, old leather in tack, sheepherder
storm coats & work boots--old paper in stacks of
ARIZONA HIGHWAYS, several pieces of aged
fence posts & pungent sprigs of sagebrush. 

He would take months to finish a painting, and 
always seemed to be working on one when we 
would visit. He allowed me to critique works in
progress, a gift not offered to any others.

A pair of osprey
perched on the fence waiting;
fish leaped to their death.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub Haibun

14 comments:

Jane Dougherty said...

Memories splendid as ospreys.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

A threesome of grandparent memories😊
So fun to be taken back in time to feel your grandad in that oh-so-we’ll described studio. I feel like I’m standing there with my eyes closed just inhaling all those so-welll-detailed mingling smells. I especially liked the detail of the cold pantry within the studio so there’s a mixing of oil scents with apples and potatoes!
And the haiku takes us to the river — in summer I think, when the fish are jumping. Nice use of Kireji from the osprey pleasantly quietly sitting - to the fish leaping to their death (and we know those lovely osprey will be their executioners!) The kireji gives us an added insight on what those osprey are really doing!

Dwight L. Roth said...

I love this picture... I can smell the leather and the apples and the potatoes! Straight out of Lonesome Dove! The Haibun is perfect!
Dwight

Ken Gierke said...

Well done, I can now see the studio with my eyes closed.

Frank Hubeny said...

That is an amazing gift from him to allow you to critique his paintings.

jo said...


I loved reading the snapshot you've written of your grandfather's studio!

D Avery said...

Thanks for the tour of the studio. Am I right that the haiku is describing one of his paintings?

Waltermarks said...

Now that sounds like a wonderful place. Your grandfather not only allowed you to enter his private studio, but allowed you to critique his works. His approval must have made your visits even more delightful.

tonispencer said...

We have osprey and eagles here along the river. The smell of your grandfather's pantry must have been captivating. Nice haiku at the end.

Kim M. Russell said...

How wonderful to have an artist as your grandfather, Glenn, with a studio to explore.I love the evocative melee of smells in this and the image of the osprey and the fish in the haiku is astounding.

annell4 said...

What fun to be asked to critique the work of your Grand Father. I read with interest your memory of your Grand Father's studio.

brudberg said...

I love that your grandfather invited you for criticism... love the effect you create with the haiku, the tension between the fish and the raptor adds excitements to the poem

lynn__ said...

The scent of memories is strong here...thanks for showing us around your grandfather's art studio, Glenn.

Pat R said...

I always wondered what it would be like to walk into an artist's studio. Colors and the smell of oil paint everywhere. I love this haibun and your haiku just wraps it up nicely. Nice write