Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Blackthorne--Scene 84




painting by Morgan Weistling


Blackthorne

Cinemagenic Eighty-Four

No Regrets

“The regret of my life is that I have not said
‘I love you’ often enough.”--Yoko Ono


1(sound cue) piano and violin.
2(medium wide shot) Salina sitting, Buck standing.
3(two shot) over Buck’s shoulder.
Salina: I don’t know if I should apologize, or slap
your face.
Buck: You might try both,and we’ll carry on
from there.
4(widen two-shot) Salina stood up; he towered over 
her. She nervously put her hands on her hips.
5(medium close up) Salina, taking a deep breath:
I told half the town that you were taking me to the 
dance. When you didn’t show up, I felt foolish. I
thought maybe I had shocked you with my asking
you to go. Some men can’t deal with a strong--
minded woman.
6(close-up) Buck, smiling: Well, I assure you, I am
not one of those men.
7(two shot) Both in profile. Salina: Alright, easy to
say I think--we’ll have to see how this rolls out.
8(sound cue) violins and harmonica.
9(close up) Buck, quietly holding her eyes, saying
nothing, saying everything.
10(two shot) Salina turns her back to him. Buck
stood behind her. She wiped away a small tear,
then whirled around to face him: I have come to
realize that I was selfish. I love to dance, and I
didn’t want to miss it--but I failed to think it
through...how you really felt about it.
Buck: I feel fine about it. I’m here now, and I’m 
raring to prance a bit.
Salina: Uh-huh--what about Thor Bronson?
Buck: What about him?
11(medium close up) Salina: Dad took me to task
for this, telling me that it looked like I was playing
you both off each other, giving the stallions the
scent, working my feminine wiles.
12(two-shot) Buck: Is your father right?
Salina: Hell of a question.
Buck: Hell of a situation.
Salina: A little no, some yes and some
shame. It‘s complicated. Anyway, Dad
took the heifer by the horns, and arranged
things so that everyone has to check their
weapons at the door. Joe Hop will be in
attendance too. 
13(sound cue) banjo and guitar.
14(extended two-shot) Buck: Damn,
you smell good.
Salina, flushing a bit: So do you.
Buck, chuckling: A little something that
Johnny whipped up. He says it’s guaranteed 
to make the ladies toss their skirts over their
heads. 
Salina: Oh...you wish.
They both laughed, then stood in an awkward 
moment of silence; finally
Salina: Listen big guy, if this situation seems too
dicy to you, you don’t have to take me just 
because you promised to; just take me inside.
I’ll find plenty of dance partners.
Buck: I’ll bet you would. He held her face in his
hands, and softly kissed her forehead. She
searched his face, her jade eyes aglow. He 
pulled her to him and kissed her sweetly. She
kissed back. He hugged her, lifting her off her
feet: You are with me, little gal, and I don’t care
who knows it, or what they might try to do
about it. 
Salina, smiling with all her teeth: You are quite
the fella, Mr. Buck. I suppose now we might as
well trot over to the Grange and make every-
body’s day--whatta ya say?
15(sound cue) harmonica and accordion.
Buck: You are quite the lady, Miss Wallace.
Yup, let’s get along. My toes are tapping
already.
16(cut to overhead drone shot) Salina held
onto Buck’s muscular arm as they walked along,
moving in and out of the shadows. We can hear
the buzz of their conversation, and the lilt of their
shared laughter.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub OL

17 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh you hold me in tension once more... I wonder if it will be fists instead of guns with Thor... but that has to wait until after Christmas.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Ah such romance! I wonder what will happen once Thor gets to know the chemistry between Buck and Salina 😊 Happy Holidays, Glenn!πŸ’•

Kim M. Russell said...

I’ve been waiting to find out what happens between Buck and Salina, Glenn, and it certainly looks promising. I like the way the music has changed to piano, violins and harmonica.

rob kistner said...

"Yup, let’s get along. My toes are tapping already."
This closes in a spirited mood, perfect for the close of season.
I want to see this screen play bevome a movie.
That would be wonderful Glenn...

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice anticipation of the next scene where I expect Thor Bronson will appear at the dance.

Grace said...

How sweet...I just admire how straightforward she is. Okay, let give this couple a room, smiles.

Wishing you and yours Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019!!!

Brendan said...

Aw. What a nice frame to leave us with while we busy with our holidays. Keeps the yule log burning. Do you dream in storyboards?

tonispencer said...

Salina is so free. You left us a good stopping point, toes tapping. Merry Christmas to you and yours Glenn and a happy new year!

Unknown said...

She's too easy, lol. Quite the tale.

Jade Li said...

I can think of a couple of fine actors to play the male lead. You have written another compelling scene.

Katie Mia Frederick said...

SMiLes.. Reminds
me of my First Beau
Dance as i was always
too Shy to Ask First hmm..
somethings never change
Never Ask For A Dance First
Now Never
ask
for
anything
but Hello..
True there are
Some Non-Verbal
Hellos Oh Girl These Days True..:)

Truedessa said...

Bravo - Thanks for posting this Glenn, I am smiling wide as I do love a good dance with words. I enjoy Salina's spirit and I think she has found a man that is perfect for her even if they are going to run into some trouble. Can't wait to read what happens. You are an excellent wordsmith taking us right into the scene. (sigh)

Have a happy holiday! Wishing you health

Steve King said...

A wonderful story in such a short scene. The narrative winds its way through a number of potential outcomes, and satisfies. Very good writing and visualizing.

Steve K.

Gina said...

very excited to know what will happen next with this strong minded woman and the man who accepts her that way

Margaret said...

I really enjoyed this... I gather this is a series. I'll have to find the others...

Pat R said...

Oh, I love this way this moves. So romantic!

Happy Holidays:)

Pat

Lona Gynt said...

Loving it! A tender kiss! Yay!