Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Blackthorne--Episode 90




image from pinterest.com


Blackthorne

Cinemagenic Ninety

Second Wind

“Never give in. Never. Never. Never.”
--Winston Churchill.

1(two-shot) Cut to edge of town. Buck mounted on 
his tall red, and Johnny Eagle on his muscular silver.
2(sound cue) in the distance, music from the dance
band still escaping from the Grange Hall.
3(medium close-up) Buck; flashback. 
4(wide two-shot) Salina was watching the dancers. 
Buck was tucking his shirt into his pants. They walked 
over to the weapons table.
Buck: Do you want to stick around?
Salina: Christ, no--I’ve seen the elephant.
Buck strapped on his guns. 
5(tracking shot to the door) She grabbed his arm, and
tugged him toward the door. 
Salina: Well, big guy, the piss is in the pickle barrel 
now.
Buck: Yup, it might could be.
Wallace and Johnny waited for them at the open doors.
6(cut to exterior) as the quartet walk out onto the porch.
7(two-shot) Buck, over Salina’s shoulder: Sorry about
the ruckus--but Thor didn’t give me much choice.
Salina: Rod, you have nothing to apologize for.” 
Wallace: Seems to me that it’s Thor who is the sorry
sonofabitch in this affair.
Salina took her father’s arm. You sure know how to 
show a girl a good time. She kissed Buck on the 
cheek. Dad will walk me home. You boys try to stay
out of trouble
8(cut back to the edge of town; the two shot) in the
present.
Johnny: Let’s ride, boss.
9( cut to day-for-night--overhead drone and ride-bys)
Buck and the Eagle rode miles in silence, galloping
through the moonlight, the white stallion matching
the strides of the long-limbed strawberry roan. 
10(sound cue) mandolin and cello over rapid
hoofbeats.
Then they cantered, trotted and walked. The horse’s
hooves found pebbles to clank on, their breath
was visible in the crisp night air. as was a mist
from their muscles.
11( medium two-shot, slow tracking)
Johnny: I fear we may have crapped in our own
straw. I doubt that Bronson will still be in the
mood to listen to your plans now. 
Buck: He’s a businessman first, and a big
brother second. He’s greedy enough, and clever
enough, to overlook this latest entanglement.
I’m not going to worry about it.
Johnny: Remember, he sent men out to kill you
after your run-in with Paulie.
Buck: Uh-huh--I figure there will be some killing
done before this is all over. 
As the horses picked their way through the
deep shadows, the Eagle stared up at the night
sky: The moon dances Wovoka.
12(sound cue) Indian branch flute.
Buck: To scare away the white eyes, and bring 
back the buffalo. You know, I was a pretty good
runner--it wasn’t a bad life.
Johnny, out of the ether: Men like you also killed
a lot of Indians.
Buck: The sea of hair is mostly gone, but the
Indians are still here.
Johnny: No, not really. It’s men like me that are
still here, men with blue eyes and white hearts,
wearing cowboy boots and denim shirts.
Buck, searching for levity: Hey, I never even met
your mother.
Johnny: We both know that you have had squaws--
so a man like you did.
Buck: Damn, son, I thank that man. You are a prince
and a warrior in both worlds, red and white, and I
need your great strength and wisdom in both of them.
Johnny: We will chase your dreams, and fight your
demons together!
They spurred their rested steeds back to a gallop,
rushing toward the ranch. Bats and barn owls heard
them coming from a half-mile out.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub OLN

11 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh... there will be some killing... silence before the showdown?... a cold world when you have to count on the greed of a brother to keep you safe.

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the vintage image, Glenn, which is perfect for the recent action in Blackthorne. In this episode, I love the way you create atmosphere with stunning visuals and music, especially in the lines:
Then they cantered, trotted and walked. The horse’s
hooves found pebbles to clank on, their breath
was visible in the crisp night air…’
and
‘As the horses picked their way through the
deep shadows, the Eagle stared up at the night
sky: The moon dances Wovoka.
12(sound cue) Indian branch flute.
I also love the way you hint at something exciting still to come.

Jade Li said...

I like the dialogue between Buck and Eagle. As always, wondering what's going to happen next.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

There is nothing quite like bromance during a thrilling sequence of events to win one's heart!❤️ I loved the exchange between Buck and Johnny and can see them rushing toward the ranch. Excited to read what happens next!❤️

robtkistner said...

I don’t understand all the camera and scene cues, but reading these is really enjoyable, and I do my best to imagine the scenes. You should create a glossary somewhere on your site to explain the “movie- making” lingo - eg. what is a two shot? You may have already done so, but I haven’t seen it, and would find it helpful. I think these pieces are wonderful and would love to be able to more effectively envision the scene as it unfolds. Nice stuff Glenn...!

Grace said...

I enjoyed that conversation too between Buck and Johnny, with the night sky and moon dancing. Seems more action is on the way. Have a good weekend.

ayala said...

I enjoyed this! Wonderful images!

Frank Hubeny said...

I like their exchange about whether the Indians are still here or not.

Victoria Ceretto-Slotto said...

You amaze me as you continue this saga. I missed some episodes, yet I still enjoy the visuals
and the characterization. Keep at it.

Truedessa said...

I am always happy to see open link night as I know you will post a segment. I have to say I am not disappointed. I admire your use of language it makes the characters believable. I do see trouble coming down the trail.

I had to laugh at this one. haha That can't be good...

"I fear we may have crapped in our own straw"

and this one is certainly words of a warrior spirit.

"We will chase your dreams, and fight your demons together"

Merril D. Smith said...

Is this perhaps a lost episode of the Ballad of Buster Scruggs? ;)
I sense there is definitely trouble coming. . .