Monday, July 22, 2019

Lunaracy




image from pinterest.com


Lunaracy

“Everybody is a moon, and has a dark side they
never show to anybody.”--Mark Twain.

The 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission has
come and gone. I rewatched THE RIGHT STUFF, 
APOLLO 13 & FIRST MAN. Then I reviewed 
THE MARTIAN. 

Last night, drenching my sheets with lunar dust, 
I dreamt I was the moon; in a computer voice
I asked over and over, “Why Mars?”.  I remember
how pleased I was when H.G. Wells, and Edgar
Rice Burroughs wrote books about me. I simply
laughed at the theories that the Nazis had hidden
bases on my dark side.

Come on, I am earth’s satellite, the Master of Tides,
less than six days flight time away. It’ll take five
years to just make it to Mars, and then what? What’s
he got that I don’t? So come on up, the dust is fine.
Get to setting up mining operations and resorts. I am
cool with it.



Glenn Buttkus

Prosery

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub "Prosery"

10 comments:

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

The moon appears to have a big ego in your story- Love it!

Jade Li said...

Wonderful sci-fi/sci-fact merging, Glenn.

sarah said...

That moon is not hiding his light under a bushel! Nice to see a male moon for a change. I love the way you pull popular culture and current events into your writing.

robkistner said...

I love the touch of jealously and welcome you wrapped into this GLENN. Yeah, we are all about nostalgic and la luna right now. I loved that you brought it alive!

Margaret said...

An enjoyable twist on the moon!

Kim M. Russell said...

Another great quote I hadn’t com across before, Glenn, and I like the way it translated into your prosery! I love ‘drenching my sheets with lunar dust’ and the whole lunar monologue!

calmkate said...

another interesting twist ... egotistical male moon, who'd have thought

Misky said...

Oh! Ecopoetry!

Kerfe said...

Indeed--the moon is far superior to Mars. Great voice.

Frank J. Tassone said...

A wonderful persona poem, with such a convincing lunar voice!