Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Blackthorne--Episode 107




image from pinterest.com


Blackthorne

Cinemagenic 107

Brotherhood

“We have never preached violence, except the
violence of love, of brotherhood, which left Christ
nailed to the cross.”--Oscar A. Romero.

1(two-shot)
Johnny: Yes, it hurts to talk, but without
the talking, there is only the pain.”
Buck: Do you have a woman somewhere?
Johnny: Am I not a man?
Buck: Muy bueno.
Johnny: Mucho senora, and sons--but none like you.
Buck: I am honored.
2(sound cue) harmonica and Indian branch flute.
Johnny: The pain dulls, but I tremble with chills
and sweat. I do not want to close my eyes.
Buck: I will hold you and share my light.
Johnny: Yes, yes, for the darkness closes in, and
it is full of red eyes and white fangs.
Buck: I am here.
Johnny: You know I love you.
Buck: And I love you, brother.
3(steadi-cam shot during the conversation,
slowly circling the pair)
Johnny: I waited for you. I promised your father,
with the freight wheel tracks across his chest, 
with his dying breath.
Buck: Voices on the wind compelled me to
return, to pick up the pieces of the past, to
rebuild this rancho.
Johnny: He knew you would come, and I knew
it too; besides, I had nowhere to go. Waiting for
you became my sunshine.
Buck: You had never met me, how could you wait?
Johnny: I had met you in my heart, through your
father’s stories. But you are wrong--I did see you
once.
Buck: When?
4(sound cue) piano and guitar.
Johnny: It was after the death of your father. I was
camped near here when you showed up. I watched
you visit the graves, and I followed you into town--
but I never approached you. If you were to
stay, you would have, but you didn’t. You drank
and then rode like hell into the night on a black
horse. I had already been where you were
going, so I waited for you to come back.
Buck: Thank-you.
5(medium close-ups) lantern light flickering in
their faces, shadows dancing in their eyes.
6(sound cue) coyotes yipping and howling.
Johnny: Some men are together for ten minutes,
and things are in balance, blue sky in an eternity
of blow sand.
Buck: So true for us, and you are a poet.
Johnny: We see the same buffalo, we share the
same pain.
Buck: You may close your eyes, old one...rest.
I will let nothing pull you from my arms.
Johnny: Never, I will not even close my eyes at
death. I will see past death. I will watch the 
vultures pick at my body on my scaffold.
Buck: You talk much of death
Johnny: Because it is near.
Buck: It comes for these scum we have killed. 
They lie all about us like slaughtered sheep.
Johnny: Put me with your family.
Buck: I tell you that you will live to put me with my
father. Do not befriend death; not yet.
Johnny: For you, I cannot die. I need to take your
sons fishing.
They laughed, but it sounded like a whimper. He
relaxed, and put his own head on the saddle next
to Johnny. Suddenly he was very tired. He could
hear a chorus of coyotes over the faint crackle of
hot embers. The smell of charred flesh was in the 
air. Buck closed his eyes.
7(medium close-up) Johnny stared unblinkingly,
as he lie cuddled in Buck’s arms. He slowly let
his heavy lids flutter, then close. He had a small
smile on his lips.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub OLN

13 comments:

brudberg said...

This dying is so tender, and I know that Buck will be find an even stronger purpose for the Rancho and to get a family now... Johnny will be walking in his shadow for ever.

Glenn Buttkus said...

This is the end of a chapter, but it is possible that the Eagle is not dead yet; stay tuned.

Kim M. Russell said...

Oh no! It’s rare to find such a tender death scene involving two men, Glenn – I’m choked up and will have to take a break from reading and commenting. I love Johnny’s replies, ‘Am I not a man?’ and ‘Mucho senora, and sons--but none like you.’ And ‘Waiting for you became my sunshine.’ I’m glad he died smiling.

Truedessa said...

Sigh - wiping a tear from my eye. This is so well done Glenn. I feel like I was there. Their relationship is real and tender. This part is especially strong and stirs the heart. Perhaps, he lives in the shadow land.

Some men are together for ten minutes,
and things are in balance, blue sky in an eternity
of blow sand.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh my heart this is evocative! I especially like the part where Johnny’s replies, "Am I not a man?" and Buck's "I will hold you and share my light." Waiting to read what transpires next!

Jade Li said...

"Johnny: For you, I cannot die. I need to take your
sons fishing."

This line gives me hope.

Glenn, the dialogue in this chapter is one of my favorites so far.

Really looking forward to the next chapter.

Alexandra said...

I'm not crying, *you're* crying.

Grace said...

What a dramatic and emotional scene. Goodness, this is so well done Glenn.

lynn__ said...

Wow, what an ending, Glenn! The power of loyal friendship shines light on death scene.

tonispencer said...

This is heart breaking.

Frank Hubeny said...

Very nice description of Johnny and Buck at Johnny's death.

Misky said...

I am absolutely "staying tuned"!

Ali said...

"Some men are together for ten minutes,
and things are in balance, blue sky in an eternity
of blow sand."
This speaks of deep connection between two beings.
What's not to love about that.