Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Star of Fire



photo by Jimmy Chuck Smith.

Star Of Fire

“If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly,
our whole life would change.”--Buddha.

Hello.
You’re probably not
used to conversing with your plants,
so this would be a good time to start.
I am one of your favorite flowers
but you don’t know much about me.

I am Astrantia,
often nicknamed
Masterwort,
Melancholy Gentleman,
and Hattie’s Pincushion.
You like me
because I’m a hardy perennial
that grows happily in moist soil
in the shade of trees. 
I’m considered floriferous and vigorous.
I adore all pollinators
and I attract butterflies.

We have been cultivated
in Britain and Central Europe
since the sixteenth century.
I have distant cousins
that grew in Shakespeare’s garden
near his cottage in Stratford.
I am among 8-9 species,
and my splendiferous blossoms
come in shades of pink, red and white.

I have been labeled Star of Fire
                                 Star of Beauty
                                 Star Of Africa
                                 Star of Love &
                                 Star of Claret.

I blossom in late summer
on tall wiry stems, with
rounded buttonhead flowers
and star-shaped colorful bracts.
I sport aromatic roots,
mine have a ginger odor,
and palmate leaves.
My dried stems and leaves
are used for herbal medicine.
You have a fondness for pink flora,
so not surprisingly, that’s my hue.
Hot dry summers make me wilt,
but a wet Fall perks me right up.

Wisely, you’ve planted me
near a small stream,
and in the shade of your elms.
So now, when you pass me,
or fuss with me, give me a wink
and a smile. I have spoken up first,
so don’t be afraid to stop by
and have conversations with me.
Believe me, it can get lonely
with taciturn gardeners.


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

14 comments:

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Glen- I love that the flower is speaking to you and telling you all about who it is and where it began. Positively beautiful!

Truedessa said...

I like the idea that it is the plant that strikes up the conversation. I often talk to my plants when I am watering them. Asking them how their day was? I read in a magazine that they thrive better.

I love the Buddha quote

Jade Li said...

Astrantia is a beauty first but then all of those wonderful qualities. Ginger-scented roots sounds divine. I wonder if they would grow here?

Grace said...

I enjoyed knowing more about this flower Glenn. I must remember to talk to my flowers and plants now, smiles.

Frank Hubeny said...

I like your reference to taciturn gardeners and loneliness at the end.

Gina said...

I talk to my plants but they have never given me so much information, we usually gossip about the neighbours plants!

Kim M. Russell said...

The best opening yet, Glenn! I love the tone of your poem, a flower after your own heart, the wonderful names Melancholy Gentleman and Hattie’s Pincushion, and the internal rhyme in ‘floriferous and vigorous’ – said with a flourish! I also like the idea of ‘distant cousins that grew in Shakespeare’s garden’. There’s an endearing cheekiness in the lines
‘So now, when you pass me,
or fuss with me, give me a wink
and a smile…’
and I love the wistfulness of
‘Believe me, it can get lonely
with taciturn gardeners.’

Thank you for the facts about this attractive and interesting flower.

Misky said...

A lovely, natural conversation. I also talk to my flowers ... and growl at the weeds. The weeds couldn't care.

brudberg said...

The thought of talking to your flowers is lovely... especially with one that has so much to give, I must say I'm not sure I really know it.

Roslyn Ross said...

Beautifully done and so interesting and informative.

lynn__ said...

A brilliant conversationalist indeed!

judydykstrabrown.com said...

What a gorgeous and unusual flower. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Poetry for Healing said...

What a lovely conversationalist The Star of Firfe is! I wish I could grow them here. They look (and sound) beautiful

purplepeninportland.com said...

I have never seen this flower. Thanks for introducing it in such a jaunty manner.