Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Wizard Of Windows



image from pinterest.com



Wizard of Windows


“One can know the world without looking out the

window. One can see the way of heaven.”

--Lao Tzu.


In my writer’s room,

behind my gilded Mac,

yes, 

there is a window

of sorts.

that remains mostly curtained,

for it’s actually a portal,

and therefore

it defies cameras

and laughs at shutters,

because the view

is a panoramic rotoscope

perpetually in motion,

or it could be a slice

of the fourth dimension.


I have clearly seen

medieval castles

sprouting

out of ice cathedrals,

winged creatures,

from banshee to cherubs,

flying horses and tigers and baboons.


I have seen

a six-up team

of golden mules

with gossamer ears

and ruby hooves

pulling churches,

            dime stores,

            masques &

            taverns.


Last week, I saw

a badger in a top hat,

astride a tortoise

that stood in a 

red radio flyer,

pushed by the pope.


Last month, I saw

a vintage circus train,

with several aquatic cars,

filled with orca,

piloted by purple squid,

who wore coral crowns,

and used seaweed harnesses.


I have even seen

my Higher Self

strolling on the glowing streets

of Bardo, strutting

in my rainbow suit,

enjoying the applause,

while avoiding the claws

of the triad of shadows

that trailed behind.


With but a squint,

I can see

star gates, black holes

and red dwarf suns

with billions of planets

buzzing about like bees,

worshiping their own stars.


All this and more, and more, and more,

just behind that dusty curtain,

witnessing things others can’t imagine.

My creativity has artesian aspects.

My mind is a powerful warrior’s bow,

and my words are my arrows

as I stare out my window.



Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub

22 comments:

indybev said...

What wondrous worlds behind your dusty curtain, Glenn. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. I do wonder, though, about the artesian aspect. Would that be under water as in artesian, or is it meant to be artisan? Whichever, I bow to your glorious imagination!

Lucy said...

This is magnificent, Glenn! A very innovative take on the prompt. A window to the imagination knows no bounds. The imagery you explicate is purely magical and evocative to the individual mind's eye. We can visualize, sure, the same TYPE of image but it will always be depicted differently as we see it described. I love your poem here, it has an essence of so much heart and imagination. It takes me back to my childhood.

I especially enjoyed these few lines:

"because the view

is a panoramic rotoscope

perpetually in motion,

or it could be a slice

of the fourth dimension."

All from the capability of the mind's eye and the mind itself. You communicate that exquisitely.

Such a beautifully written take on the prompt. Thank you for sharing.

Jade Li said...

I love the artesian aspects of your imagination, Glenn. This flight of fancy through the magical portal was a delight to read.

Ricardo said...

You are a visionary. I like your fantastic visions. They are suggestive, even scary...

Ricardo said...

But your're right - the world is a sad place and it is better to imagine something new. Enjoy your travel

peterfrankiswrites.wordpress.com said...

Great imaginative leaps here Glenn - and like the true romantic poet - stay true to that vision. I thought of Coleridge's Kubla Khan - "And all should cry, Beware! Beware! / His flashing eyes, his floating hair!". Wonderful take on the prompt. Thank you.

Grace said...

That is an imaginative take Glenn. Love how you weave stories out of your window/portal.

Dwight L. Roth said...

You have a wonderfully creative mind Glenn. Love the turtle in the wagon pushed by pope!!
You could write your own version of Glenn in Wonderland!! An interesting change of pace for you on this one. I loved it.

Jane Dougherty said...

We all weave stories from what we see out of the window, and imagination produces what we would see if it were there :)

calmkate said...

Absolutely stunning I totally love everything about this magical transition behind that dusty curtain ... your mind is a wondrous thing, bardo will be the test!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem. Your portal sounds fabulous and I think perhaps I've seen you once or twice walking the streets of Bardo. Suzanne of Wordpress blog - Mapping uncertainty

Kim M. Russell said...

I love where your alliterative window took you, Glenn, from gilded Mac to a magical world, and the way it ‘defies cameras and laughs at shutters’! A bit of dusty curtain and a lot of imagination. πŸ˜‰

Kerfe said...

That's a view I'd like to have myself.

Misky said...

A view is a view, not matter the perspective, and I adore this piece.

Alexandra said...

I can see how you'd want to leave the curtain drawn across that, and take only controlled glimpses into the fantastic landscapes!

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

I read this and am totally captivated!

Bill said...

I admit that on first glance and seeing the pic, I did not know what to expect. I discovered a well-written wonderful work of creative art. Well done.

Vivian Zems said...

I enjoyed these arrows shot from your warriors bow about your private Narnia. Prefect!!

Victoria said...

So fun, where you took this, Glenn. It sort of felt like an revisit from a long ago acid trip (not that I would know) or a really well-penned fantasy of a highly imaginative poet.

Mrityunjay Dixit said...

Wow! what a vivid imagination you have. This is really superb work :) I look forward to reading more of your poetry

Anonymous said...

This is just the best window view ever. Love it.

brudberg said...

Wonderful fantasy... but it's not a quadrille... I remove it from that Mr Linky.