Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Blackthorne Episode 152



image from vintagewesterncovers.com

 Blackthorne


Cinemagenic 152


Safe


“Kelly was a seaman, and  he observed all the

safety rules that had been written in the blood

of less careful men.”--Tom Clancy.


1(sound cue) soft guitar strumming overridden

by loud gunfire.

2(close-up) Buck opened his bloodshot eyes.

3(sound cue) birdsong over river lapping.

4(set shot) bright sun streaming through

billowing curtains. 

5(two-shot) Buck turned his head. Salina was

asleep in a wicker chair, covered with a red Indian

blanket. The sun and the breeze played in her

hair. It was early morning.

6(sound cue) a rooster crowed.

He could smell coffee, bacon and beans. Suddenly

he was very hungry. He could hear voices outside.

They were speaking in Spanish. Wood crackled in

an old pot-bellied stove at the back of the room. He

hurt everywhere. He could barely move. He glanced 

back at Salina. She was awake, and smiling.

Salina: Good morning, my love.

Buck: God damn, you are a vision.

Salina: Oh, I’m sure.

Buck: I mean it, like an angel in a painting.

Salina: You sir, are delirious.

Buck: You are beautiful.

Salina: Right--I haven’t had a bath in days, my hair

is like a crow’s nest.

Buck: How long was I asleep?

Salina: Another full day.

7(sound cue) Banjo.

8(medium wide shot) The door opened, and a tall

Mexican stepped inside. His ornate black sombrero

was on his neck. He wore a wide red and black scarf.

He had gray sideburns, with thick curly coal-black

hair. His teeth were very white under a thick 

moustache. He carried two steaming cups of coffee. 

Jesus: Buenos dias, senorita. I could hear you two

talking, so I brought you some cafe. 

Salina: Why, thank you, Jesus.

Buck: I think I know you, compadre.

Jesus: Yes, Senor Buck, there are six of us

here. We are all friends of Mateo. We rode

with the Senorita to rescue you, and now we

stay for a while to protect you, until you heal

up. We want eschar una mano.

Buck: I appreciate it, muchas gracias. 

Jesus: Actually, we all thank you. 

Buck: For what?

Jesus: For having the courage to take on the

Bronsons. You are the heroe to so many of us.

Buck was silent. His eyes became moist.

Jesus: Te veo luego.

Buck nodded as Jesus left the room.

Salina: The vaqueros are good men. You are

safe here.

Buck: Tell you what, I could eat the ears off a 

bobcat. Any chance I can get some grub?

Salina: The boys cooked up a big breakfast. I’ll

go out and see if they have some chuck to spare.

She leaned over and kissed him. It hurt, but he

didn’t mind at all.


Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub OLN





9 comments:

Grace said...

Good to have you back Glenn. I can smell that coffee, bacon and beans. Big breakfast coming up.

Merril D. Smith said...

It's good to see you here again, Glenn. I'm sure he didn't mind the kiss or the breakfast.

forestbather said...

You put Charles Bronson in my mind...really enjoy these...not sure about chewing those bob cat ears, but suitably graphic, and what an ending!

Gillena Cox said...

Another nice one.

Much💛love

Sunra Rainz said...

Well that was a fun read! And I enjoyed the last line, it was such a fitting end to this scene:

"She leaned over and kissed him. It hurt, but he

didn’t mind at all."

Hope you are well :-)

Dwight L. Roth said...

Are you comics still 10 Cents? :>) I really enjoyed your detailed images in this one. A great interaction between Buck and Salina. Nicely done.

Truedessa said...

I was getting worried about you. So glad to see a post and of course I am still a big fan of this series. I could see Salina sitting in the wicker chair, sleepless with worry for Buck. I could hear all the sounds the crackling of the wood. Your attention to details really takes the reader into the story.

Brendan said...

Now that's the way to wake up in the old West. Thanks for taking us there.

paeansunplugged said...

This surely was a great read, Glenn.
Good to read your words again.