Sunday, April 6, 2008

Baseball & Texas Haiku



Reading "Baseball Haiku" edited by Cor van den Heuvel and Nanae TamuraBesuboru

haiku1,

Fans in the bleachers
Three men on base
I watch the pitchers eyes

2,I would have been
Fourth out
If they allowed such things

3,Snow on the field
My glove hanging in the closet
I wait

4,Crocuses bloom
Grass up
Batter up

5,Sun in my eyes
Dust in my nose
I'm traded

O.K. enough of that, one last on a non baseball theme.

6,Tapping plastic keys
Haiku? not Haiku?
Close enough.

Good exercise in learning how to edit, how to cut the bs and expose the core of your thought.

Sayonara

Doug Palmer

All this Haiku has stirred me up again, and so I will do my ersatz best at banging out some:

41 Haiku on April Fools Day

1,In Texas I stood,
to my knees in Bluebonnets,
missing home.

2,Airports are droll,
miserable and dehumanizing,
but there they are.

3,The sun on my silver wing
hurt my eyes,
until I closed them.

4,Alligators and dog-sized deer
beg for handouts
at Lake Texana.

5,Beware of Poisonous Snakes
the sign read
next to the picnic table.

6,A Bristol, an Alfa
and a Fiat
left the driveway.

7,Doug Palmer was
the Duke of Oil,
until he cleaned his knuckles.

8,Gokwiis prowls streets,
and churns along
in lakes too, enit?

9,Lane Savant and Anonomann
one stood in defiance
outside of the citadel of SSO.

10,Alex Shapiro reminds me
of Julie Taymor,
only prettier.

11,Melva and I
have spent 15 years
partnering a dream.

12,Meredith turns her eyes
away from the workaday
and smiles of a morning.

13,Texas was a republic
before it was a state,
and could be again.

14,In Dallas there is a hotel
where 2 slices of bread
and one of ham costs 30 bucks.

15,In Fort Worth
the Stockyards have no cattle,
just honky tonks.

16,In Lolita neath a tall cedar,
my father-in-law sleeps
eternally.

17,Even the Beatle's music
can ge rearranged;
believe it!

18,ML King was shot
40 years ago,
before I was a sailor.

19,The Viet Nam War
lasted 10 years,
the Iraq War is sprinting to catch up.

20,STOP-LOSS
is a powerful film
about the quagmire of petroleum.

21,Where are the liberals
when we need them;
gone to ground, invisible.

22,Reading FEEL FREE TO LAUGH,
often make me do so,
or lets me.

23,Doug Palmer Mercer Savant
composes notes that only
angels can hear.

24,If music is mathmatics
expressing visualization,
why is it so accessible?

25,I was in college 4 different times
adding up to 8 years,
and still I am ignorant.

26,A good choreographer
sees dancing
in every crowd.

27,A good composer
hears music
as the city awakens.

28,A good writer
finds the words
to express his doubts and joys.

29,I am a good writer,
I have been told,
still I must continue.

30,On the plane
I sat next to a man my age
who had just had a face lift.

31,The wrinkles were gone,
but his face
was a death mask.

32,Melva bumped into Ruby
3000 miles from Sumner,
shrinking the world to a peanut.

33,The blind wait for me
to show them the light
at the office.

34,Will the ice
greet me on my windshield
in the morning's dusk?

35,Will I hear the Beatles
on my car radio
as I slice through the darkness?

36,Will movies free me
from the drudgery
of the leaden eye?

37,Will music lighten my step
even though my legs
have little strength?

38,Can a man
fully in charge of his facilties
own 13,ooo films?

39,Is creating haiku
the only way
to seize the day?

40,Shall I end this merriment
and prepare
for tomorrow?

41Yes, oh yes, I shall,
I will,
I must and need to.

Gutten Abend:

Glenn Buttkus

No comments: