Friday, September 4, 2009

Letters



LETTERS

-1
Before he left for combat,
he took care of everything:
someone to plow the driveway,
cut the grass.
And the letter he wrote me,
just in case, sealed
somewhere, in a drawer;
can’t be opened,
must be opened
if he doesn’t return.
I feel for my keys,
hear his voice:
“Less is better.” Late
for work, still
I linger
at the window of the Century
Florist, a bowl of peonies,
my face among the tulips.

-2
Last Mother’s Day, when
he was incommunicado,
nothing came.
Three days later, a message
in my box; a package,
the mail room closed.
I went out into the lobby,
banged my fist against
the desk. When they
gave it to me, I clutched it
to my chest, sobbing
like an animal.
I spoke to no one,
did not apologize.
I didn’t care about the gift.
It was the note I wanted,
the salt from his hand,
the words.

Frances Richey

Posted over on Nicholas D. Kristof's Blog Site

1 comment:

Jannie Funster said...

Heart freaking breaking.