Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Barbatos



painting by James Ryman 


Barbatos

“If I got rid of my demons, I’d lose my angels.”
--Tennessee Williams.

By day, I am nearly invisible as I bus tables and
wash dishes at Denny’s. I live in my grandmother’s
basement--a nice little apartment with it’s own
entrance. Gramm is hard of hearing, and for me
that’s a blessing.

By night, I troll the bus station, back alleys and
the gay bars. I’m a big handsome Swede, with 
long blond hair & deep blue eyes--looking like
Thor and shit. Though for years my sexual
preferences were conflicted, I seem to attract
gay men, so it’s just easier to score with them.

My father used to get drunk and beat the hell out 
of me, before he was stabbed & killed in a bar fight.
My mother was a crack addict, and she died when
I was 14, just after an older homosexual had given
me a ride from school, and raped me in his garden
shed. I could have stopped him, but hell, I enjoyed
the attention.

Five years ago I discovered that I preferred to have
sex with young boys who agreed to be mute and
non-responsive. I had a part-time job in a mortuary,
and I developed a real taste for necrophilia; but
most of the lover boys still made noise & moved
about.

So I made the decision to start killing them, so 
that my sexual & emotional needs could be more
adequately satiated, I’m very strong, so strangling
them was the easiest & quietest solution. Soon I
became expert at cutting up their bodies in the 
bath tub, and dissolving them in barrels of strong
chemicals. Gramm noticed I burned a lot of incense.
I told her I was converting to Hinduism.

One bright day, I got to staring at the neatly sliced
up portions of meat, and out of nowhere, I fired up
my oven and made a delicious roast out of buttocks.
To date I have slain 37 young men, and eaten a 
dozen of them. The last seven of them as a lark, I
saved their heads in my refrigerator. As I sink deeper
into the darkness of depravity, murder, and sweet
cannibalism--I have no regrets. At some point I will
be caught, and that’s as it should be. I will probably
get 20 consecutive life sentences, and after a few 
months I will be cornered in the shower room by
several men & stabbed in the eyes.

I have become a
demon--every night is like

Halloween for me.


Glenn Buttkus

11 comments:

Barlow said...

Glenn, as far as I'm concerned, this is your finest masterpiece. Really incredible commitment to the voice. I am so blown away by this outstanding poem. Wow. I hope you are pleased.

brudberg said...

You have made the monster so real... and you have not been shy of creating some sympathy for the devil if I may say so... a damaged little boy turns damaging... chilling work and a credible voice too.

Frank Hubeny said...

Nicely dark enough for Halloween.

Vivian Zems said...

Absolutely horrible! Perfect fear.

tonispencer said...

My goodness how frightening. Reminds me of Jeffrey Dalmer or Jack the Ripper. Scary.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

A masterpiece indeed Glenn, brilliantly scribed.
(I didn't realise you were Swedish. ;O])
Anna :o]

sarah said...

That's really disturbing. Well done. The coldness is palpable.

Kim M. Russell said...

Glenn, this is so chilling. It reminds me a little of Psycho, only this guy lives in grandmother’s basement in a nice little apartment with it’s own entrance and he preys on gay men. The frightening part is, I felt sorry for him, with his terrible childhood, even though he is truly a monster.

Frank J. Tassone said...

Bone-chilling! I'm still shivering! You embrace the perspective so well, it's scary!

Sumana Roy said...

Ouch! So visceral & blood curdling!!! A perfect sketch of a monster.

Pat R said...

Holy crap! This is why I don't do monsters or scary. Marvelously done.