Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Pop




My grandfather.


Pop

“More and more, when I single out the person who
most inspired me, I go back to my grandfather.”
--James Earl Jones.

Earl Melbourne Carpenter was born in Colville, WA.
in 1897. He grew up on a farm, raising apples and
watermelons. Twice a week, his Dad would load up
a wagon with fruit, drive it ten miles to town to sell 
the produce. Earl was the only son, so he always 
accompanied his father, eager to see the elephant, 
and get a candy cane. Colville swarmed with farmers,
ranchers, miners, and lumberjacks; all jobs that
young Earl would later try on for size.

There was no middle name on his birth certificate,
so when he was 18, he gave himself the name
“Melbourne”. He had read about Australia, and
dreamed about going there some day, and doing
some homesteading. He never made it there, but
he kept the dream alive.

I made my appearance in 1944, and he became a
grandfather at 47. Before I was born, he moved the
family from Spokane to Seattle, driving a Model T
Ford, pulling a trailer. In 400 miles it broke down a
dozen times. He always called this his Steinbeck
period, “It was pure Grapes of Wrath time.”

During the Depression, midst soup lines, erratic
unemployment, and fist fights with cops and thugs
while on picket lines...he became a progressive,
joining the Communist Party. This haunted him
later during the McCarthy witch hunts.

He made a living as a house and bridge painter,
joining the union. Heights never bothered him.
He thought he could make a fine steeplejack.
In his spare time, he was an artist, painting
Western landscapes in the style of Charlie Russell.
In his life he painted hundreds of these, getting
a modest reputation.

When I was about ten, one day I took stock of him,
becoming more aware of who he was in the world.
He had always been a laborer, and had muscular
arms and shoulders. He was six feet tall, combed 
his hair straight back (always smelling of Rose hair
oil), always wore glasses, had false teeth, and wore
a thin mustache in the style of the 30’s movie stars.
He had piercing hazel eyes. He had big powerful
hands. It was fascinating to watch him working on
an oil painting, as those big hands delicately held
thin camel hair brushes.

He was always more like a father to me than just a
grandparent. He was very aware that I had no idea
who my biological father was. My mother had passed
away by the time I was in the Navy. It was my
grandfather who wrote me twice a week. After he died,
I was surprised that he had kept all my letters, for I
had kept all of his letters to me as well. Today, all of
our letters are mixed together by date, and are stored
in a metal brief case that he had kept his oil paints in.

As an actor, I
travelled to Australia for
work; he just loved it.  

Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

12 comments:

tonispencer said...

What an endearing portrait! Seems like you get a lot of your piss and vinegar from him. He sounds like someone I would have liked to meet. Great that he was an artist as well.

Jade Li said...

What a shining beacon for you to be warmed by in your life. Your grandpa sounds larger than life. The idea of your and his letters in his metal paint box, mixed together, is such a warm fuzzy to me.

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice remembrance of your grandfather. You might want to print those letters someday that both of you kept.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Frank...there are hundreds of them. 12 years ago, when I first started my blog, I printed several dozen in sequence. It was fun, but a ton of work.

Maggie C said...

A nice portrait of your grandfather. I wrote about mine also, but didn't know him near as well as you knew yours.

Kim M. Russell said...

I agree with Toni, Glenn, it is an endearing portrait, and you do seem to have inherited his piss and vinegar!

Jane Dougherty said...

I'm glad you got to Australia. A sort of pilgrimage.

Anmol (HA) said...

This is beautiful — you tell a life story in such a sensitive and evocative manner, creating this distinct image of a man, with such well-rounded characteristics and physical traits.

brudberg said...

I love how much of American History you got into your portrait... the Steinbeck years... McCarthy... he seems to have been in the middle of it all.

robkistner said...

Wow Glenn, what a loving portrait of a fascinating renaissance Man. This is a man that became a pillar to support who you are. This is a touching read. Thank you brother for sharing it. I would have really enjoyed your grandfather — cool, gutsy, talented guy.

Christine Irving said...

Love this portrait - so happy to know hi through your work - thus our ancestors live on in honor. Blessings

purplepeninportland.com said...

What a vivid portrait of a person who affected your life so profoundly. He sounds wonderful.