Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Bramble Berries




image from organiccrops.com


Bramble Berries

“He who sows brambles will reap thorns.”
--Spanish Proverb.

There was a time, when I was a kid,
a child not a goat, when picking
blackberries was a family affair.

Although, in praise of goats, it is widely
known that they are the best solution
for eradicating pesky thorn bushes.

They are a very sturdy plant. You can mow,
chop, burn, crush or dig at them, and they
will spring back when your back’s turned.

Most neighborhoods have a vacant lot,
or neglected corner where blackberries
can thrive, where the ripe fruit awaits.

They can grow in poor soil, ditches, steep
hillsides, and hedgerows; even in a
wasteland, and could devour a football field.

A dozen of us would show up in long-sleeved
shirts, jeans, and high leather boots, for
protection from the blood thirsty thorns.

We brought gardening gloves, and ladders
to drop over the six foot bushes, a handful
of band-aids, machetes, and sharp clippers.

We carried colorful plastic buckets and
rinsed-out coffee cans to hold our freshly
picked multi-pounds of bounty.

My grandparents called them cane berries,
because of the thick stalks, and they pointed
out that blackberries were not real berries, for

they were made up of seeded drupelets, cousins
to raspberries. My grandfather was fond of saying
that raspberries were a feminine fruit, where the

berry slips off the stem, leaving a cavern in the
middle, but blackberries had to be plucked,
and their erect stems remain intact.  



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

Poem written in the style of Ted Hughes.

9 comments:

tonispencer said...

I love blackberries. I pick a ton over the summer and make jam, put up to freeze, and make cobblers. Best free fruit in the universe.

robkistner said...

This was a great trip back with you to childhood. Sweet memories, and I assume sweet berries. Thank you for sharing this Glenn! :-)

Jade Li said...

Those things, as you say, would consume the whole back area behind my house if I wasn't vigilant. The berries are tasty, but I can't tell you the number of times one of those canes or offshoots have caught me by the skin or through the clothes in passing on the mower. I hate them!

Jane Dougherty said...

Invasive if you want to garden, but they make an impenetrable hedge if you want to keep unwelcome visitors out.

Kim M. Russell said...

Your poem is so obviously inspired by Hughes, Glenn, and wonderfully done, with humour and irony. Our garden is full of brambles and I’m always getting snagged by the thorns, and yes, ‘they will spring back when your back’s turned’. I like the biology lesson in the lines:
‘My grandparents called them cane berries,
because of the thick stalks, and they pointed
out that blackberries were not real berries, for

they were made up of seeded drupelets, cousins
to raspberries.’
I agree with Jane about their usefulness as impenetrable hedges - they remind me of Sleeping Beauty.

indybev said...

When my daughter moved to Oregon, I was amazed to see the wild blackberries everywhere. They make wonderful jams, jellies and pies, but require carefully protected berry-pickers!! I loved your poem, Glenn.

brudberg said...

I would love to have blackberries, and it could be useful as a hedge too... my mother planted them in her small garden, and they grew insanely tight... we have to totally clear them away.

Christine Irving said...

Really enjoyed this- used to have a berry patch and walked out every morning in my nightgown, bowl in hand, to mix with my breakfast yogurt. Not to mention the pies!

A Reading Writer said...

Reminded me of my days of berry hunting, too! Really well done!