Thursday, November 7, 2019

Here's Glenn





Here’s Glenn

“Clarity comes from looking inside your own heart.
Who looks inward first dreams, then awakes.”
--Carl Jung.

Glenn,
consider this
an intervention,
and understand that you
are a difficult person to counsel.

Like other Geminis,
you have a strong opinion
on everything, and you
express yourself
with a heightened passion.

You are quick to anger,
your version of 
an angry face,
and an angry voice
intimidates people.
Remember that employer who said,
You can’t help yourself--you intimidate
everyone. You even intimidate me,
and I own the damn place.

There are people,
friends and family,
who fear you,
but still like you,
even love you;
yet you’re not a bully.

So you are a rare bird,
a red Cardinal midst
a murder of Crows.

You used to force-feed
your opinions and ideas,
running roughshod
over other’s views.
To your credit, presently
you have become a better listener.

You have always had problems
with authority, perpetually balancing
insubordination with excellent work ethic.

You are a screaming liberal, And you
present yourself as a blue-collar intellectual,
always taking the side of your fellows,
which has prevented you from rising in the
ranks. 

Your decade as a professional actor was not
wasted, but real success eluded you because
you got in your own way. You tend to exhaust
those around you with your unfiltered
enthusiasm, and overbearing personality. Yes,
you are smart, but MENSA has never tried to
recruit you.

You can be generous to a fault, and then flip
to being a sarcastic hard-ass. You have always
been a malcontent, a loose canon, and your
superiors have had to struggle to cope with you.

On the positive side, it is inspiring to witness
over many years how you manage despite your
disability. You seem to still extract joy within
your endeavors, and find purpose in your many
pursuits. Keep channeling your rage into your
creative and artistic spheres. In can be said
that you have made your mark in this world;
continue to do so.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub MTB

16 comments:

brudberg said...

This is so fun... and also hard to write about yourself in the third, and it also gives you some freedom... sounds like you were at a counselor with a very long knowledge and deep knowledge about you.

robkistner said...

Wow Glenn, this is an honesty that is extremely difficult to muster. Bravo dude, you did it, and did it in a most interesting and approachable manner. This was great to read. One reason I sense its authenticity is my online experience of you through the past decade. You are who you present yourself to be brother. I, on the other hand, frequently project my honest self, veiled through fiction and fantasy. I have been told it makes me appear elusive and ambiguous often, even arrogant. But being kind to myself, I attribute that to the performer in me. I am not easy. However, I am available through my creations, accessible in my projections, if someone cares to look. I have realized that, by and large, you get and accept me. I appreciate that my friend. Damn dude, you inspired me to open up a bit.

tonispencer said...

This explains why your poems are always so full of anger! But I love you anyway.

Vivian Zems said...

I’m enjoying this live autopsy. In fact, I’m going to read it again!

Jade Li said...

Glenn, you show courage by laying it out there about yourself. Reading you over the months, I've seen a lot of what you say. I can also see where bosses would cringe to have to supervise you, as a person with integrity can't be bought, and someone who can't be bought is a loose cannon to bosses. I can also see your advocacy for fellow workers striking fear into the idea of having you as part of the ranks of management. Hierarchies are tumbled by such individuals. It has been a pleasure to get to know more about you in your poem and cool to see more than a postage-stamp-sized photo of you!

Dwight L. Roth said...

I love this one Glenn! Ten years of Psychoanalysis could not have described you better!

tonispencer said...

I read this one again. couldn't resist. read Jade Li's comment to me and read my response for a hoot,

Truedessa said...

I can feel the raw honesty in this piece. You are a person full of passion and it often shows in your writing. To me that is what makes you an amazing writer and storyteller.

Kerfe said...

It's not easy to look in the mirror, but you seem to have both humor and clarity about yourself. A good combination.

Kim M. Russell said...

This exercise in perspective has taken you on a journey, Glenn, and you’ve laid yourself bare, a brave thing to do. I like the donning of a persona, a therapist or counsellor, to get to the nitty-gritty. And I’ve learned a lot about you – that is if your therapist is a reliable narrator. I particularly enjoyed the lines about the angry face – my husband is very similar in that respect! – and the ‘red Cardinal midst a murder of Crows’.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

You didn't pull any punches with yourself Glenn! It shows you have done a lot of soul searching throughout your life.Well done!

Ken Gierke said...

This is frank and honest, both of which are difficult to achieve when addressing oneself. Well done.

Sabio Lantz said...

And Glenn, you take any opportunity you can to speak highly of yourself, even under the guise of a different perspective. LOL

lynn__ said...

Honestly, Glenn, I was very glad to read about YOU instead of Trump ;) Thanks for sharing!

Revived Writer said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Great job switching to an unusual perspective!

purplepeninportland.com said...

This was amazing to read. Quite a different perspective, and I imagine, a difficult one from which to write.