Friday, November 7, 2008

I Told You I Like Indians




I Told You I Like Indians


You meet Indians everywhere.

Once, I walked into this place--
Flager Beach, Florida,
you'd never expect it--
a bar, some old people ran it.

The usual question, of course,
"You're an Indian, aren't you."
"Yes, Ma'am," I'm Indian alright
Wild, ignorant savage !
And she wants me to dance.
Well, okay, been drinking beer
All the way from Hollywood.
We dance something.

You're Indian, aren't you?
Yes, jesus christ, almighty,
I'm one of them.

I like Indians.

"There's an Indian around here."
What?
And in comes a big Sioux.
Crissake, man, how's relocation, brother?
He shakes my hand.
Glad to see you.
I thought I was somewhere else.
We play the pingpong machine, drink beer.


Simon Ortiz...........from American Renegades.

No comments: