Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Letter: A Definition of Love




Letter: A Definition of Love


for Leonard


"Look," it sez. "I never danced
for no damn rain beside the Grand Canyon
while some family from Ohio took
my picture and called me strong
in the sun. I just painted

and if my work was sold
for less than what it was worth
it was because I needed money
for food or rent. I didn't use my own blood

or spit to paint the stuff.
I bought it for two bucks a tube
downtown. I didn't pass out

in doorways, piss my pants drying out
and thin in some county jail.
I drank my beers alone
and went home alone. I don't have no scars

except scars from the car
that ran my ass over
in the dark near Vegas. I painted

a self-portrait in the hospital.
I colored the tubes, casts
nurses and doctors bone white
and burned it when I got out.
I called it "Love"
that's what I know."


Sherman Alexie.......from Old Shirts & New Skins

No comments: