Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Natalie Diaz


Natalie Diaz

Oh, man, here's some great poems by a Native poet (you have to register on their site to read the work, but this online magazine is very much worth it): narrativemagazine.com.

I met Natalie a couple years back and it was like meeting a sibling: she's a ball-playin' Injun poet (and being a former pro, I'm sure she could kick my butt, especially now that my game is as broken down as a rez car, and that I am, on the court, at least, "a tattered coat on a stick.").

I'm really excited about Natalie's work, and, as I previously mentioned on my site, and will mention again, am also jazzed about the new books of poetry by S.G. Frazier (narrativemagazine.com) and Orlando White (readab.com). And now I've received word that Sherwin Bitsui (poets.org) has a new book of poems soon to be published by one of the most prestigious poetry publishers, Copper Canyon Press.

So, for the first time in many years, we have a group of new Native writers receiving national acclaim. I'm hoping that we are on the verge of a New New New New New Native American Literary Renaissance. For those of you keeping score, it's been 13 years since a Native writer (princeton.edu) burst onto the literary scene in a major league way. - posted 2/28/09

Sherman Alexie...from his website

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the good words, brother. I'm glad that you are coming to terms with your game. And, don't forget, we are going to play one hot game of c-o-m-m-o-d-s next time we meet up. Whoever spells "commods" first has to share their brick of cheese. Love love.