Friday, February 19, 2010

Jehovah's Wet Dream


Jehovah’s Wet Dream

I
grew up
wet in the

north
woods, halfway
across the globe

from
Shrewsbury or
St. Etienne, but

still
a comfort
zone I’m told

for
those European
expatriates dwelling amongst

us.
Rain remains
my constant companion,

pummeling
the prairies,
spanking the concrete

of
byways and
domiciles, drooling like

dizzy
demigods, spattering
all shadows, breaking
them
up into
shimmering pixels before

partially
banishing and
disconnecting them from

the
feet and
baseline of those

things
solid enough
to cast one;

straight
down in
sheets, diagonally driven

into
windows, windshields
and naked eyes

that
dare to
face the downpour.

God
spitting, cascading
in clumps, beading

up
on waxen
hoods and slippery

metal,
running off
rooftops, gushing over

gutters,
passing loudly
through those rusty

metal
pores of
manhole covers, rushing

along
frightened curbs,
racing headlong toward

divers
maws of
thirsty street drains,

becoming
a hundred
rivulets dripping strong

from
puncheon porch
tops, weeping passionately,

copiously,
from the
tender undersides of

devil-
black low
clouds, spraying like

legions
of angels
pissing in rows;

forcing
those ghost
riders to crack

their
spectral whips
mocking thunder, and

seducing
the wind
wolves to howl,

joining
the morning’s
torrential Concert of

Aqueous—
followed by
a golden fanning,

opening
ribald like
a geisha’s thighs

a
marvelous sun
break, the dervish

dance
of a
hundred shards of

light,
twisting erotically
into a naked

embrace,
sunlight piercing
water drops, bursting

into
an orgasmic
swatch of juicy

rainbow,
arching its
lovemaking shoulders high

into
a brazen
display of raw

dazzling
colors, the
full spectrum of

stratospheric
ethereal sex,
seminally staining the

compliant
sky, right
there for all

to
see and
share, to marvel

and
smile at,
to be touched

by,
stroking hope
where only void

resided,
vibrating the
dewy lips of

rainy
mist, setting
up a throb,

a
Gregorian moment
when cupids purr,

and
the soaked
and satiated earth

sighs.


Glenn Buttkus February 2010

Listed as #23 over on Magpie Tales 62

Would you like to hear the Author read this poem to you?

11 comments:

Peter Farnum said...

I like it, very descriptive. More on the edge than the one from your patio.

Peter

David Gilmour said...

Glenn,
Nice poem, nice seduction in the title, lovely and wet.-- David

Guy Marsh said...

Did you create this recently? Seems like I have seen this before...regardless, well done!

Take care, Bud

Dick Mansfield said...

Glenn,
Thanks again my wonderful friend.
You have definitely done it again!!
I love this passionate and earthy work of art!
I experience through your creativity the lusty connection to all life and the yearnings.
I feel for deeper awareness, that's provided.

Wow, I am amazed!
I am so glad you were born!
I am so glad I have gotten to know you!
I am so glad you share yourself so fully.
I go back and read again - even a part - gives me a spirit boost.
I love the title!!!
Dick

Lynne Rees said...

Glen: I love the energy in this, the way image builds upon image, and how the language feels very fresh. I feel as if I'm being asked to see rain for the first time. A few queries: Not sure about the title. It made me think it was going to be a persona poem,but it's not in the voice of Jehovah? Is it? I also wondered what function the 'I' plays in the poem as a whole? As, for me, the power of the poem is in the description and there's only one other return to the first person ('my constant companion') if I've read this carefully enough. I think I'd also like to see the poem in longer lines and with less 'air' (i.e. stanza breaks), just to see how it reads and feels. And finally, perhaps it could be a bit shorter? After the sexual imagery (when we reach 'compliant sky') perhaps the poem is stretching itself just a little too much? But I do still like this a lot.

Lynne

Tess Kincaid said...

Wild and wild.

Reflections said...

Love the descriptive nature evolving... right there on the edge of wet.

Tumblewords: said...

Energetic and edgy --- clever work.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Very wild and wonderful!

I'm home tomorrow night if you want to discuss politics...

Anna :o]

Unknown said...

wow, this just spills and captivates

Steve Isaak said...

Vivid cavalcade of imagery and ideas. Excellent stuff.