Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holiday Shopping

Image by Friko


Holiday Shopping

While I was stomping through the aisles,
backwards and forwards,
I was forced to listen
to an endless loop of Christmas jingles,
a tinny, badly arranged, flat, featureless
cacophony of sound.

The more I resented it
the more obtrusive it became.
I went through those aisles
like a thing possessed,
hissing 'ssshhhut-up-ssshhhut-up-ssshhhut-up'
with every step I took.
I actually came across several people singing
along to the atrocities on the sound system!
Morons!
I have no idea why they stared at me
and gave me and my trolley a wide berth.

I was still fizzing with nervous tension driving home.

How much more civilised it was
to sit after dinner and write Christmas cards.
A few chocolates, a glass of mulled wine
and a CD by the The Sixteen playing quietly.
Sublime. My rage melted like snow in the sun.

Friko

Posted as prose over on her site Friko's Musings
Line Breaks by Glenn Buttkus.

No comments: