Thursday, May 10, 2012

Numb Peach



image borrowed from bing


"Every man's memory is is private literature."
--Aldous Huxley

Numb Peach
NUMB PEACH is my best
remembrance of mulberry times,
lava lamps, jade earrings;
dark days too, spawn of
helter skelter, Manson lore,
sienna sinews torn;
coconut cigars,
onyx rings on all fingers,
feline eye shadow;
willow wreaths in hair,
LSD imps run amok,
alto sax riffs cool;
thistleless tulips,
rye bread dunked in hot milk,
tumbleweed blues chords;
elbows of ivy,
eucalyptus tea daybreaks,
opal umber dreams.
Glenn Buttkus
May 2012.


Would you like to hear the author read this poem to you?

8 comments:

Shawna said...

I love this, Glenn! Just gorgeous. Now I feel like I might have been there. :)

These are my favorites:

"coconut cigars,
onyx rings on all fingers,
feline eye shadow"

"willow wreaths in hair,
LSD imps run amok,
alto sax riffs cool"

Unknown said...

Very cool Glenn. Love how you were able to use the word prompts so perfectly. Great read. thanks

Tess Kincaid said...

This is one of your best pieces Glenn...

De Jackson said...

Glen, some of these word mashups make me sooooo happy. These are my favorites, though:
"tumbleweed blues chords;
elbows of ivy"

Beautiful. You had me there, in the center of it all.
de
whimsygizmo.wordpress.com

Anne Katherine said...

"opal umber dreams" - beautiful.
All these memories flow so well. Nice job!

Hannah said...

I like your title and these two felt so rich in the imagery of them the smooth tulip petal and the bright bite of rye flavor!

"thistleless tulips,
rye bread dunked in hot milk,"

Great poem, Glenn!

Anonymous said...

Excellent, beautiful verslets

Jules said...

Being a misfit of the 1960's only some of these memories are the same for me. Nice use of the prompt words.