Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Opposites Repel




Painting by Samiran Sarker


Opposites Repel

“I like nonsense--it wakes up the
brain cells.”--Dr. Seuss.

Nobody get get through this life
without encountering a plethora
of adages. Mostly
they state the obvious. but
not today.

For God‘s sake, leap before you look.

If you are ever lost, hesitate a while and
check the damn landmarks.

Light hands produce way too much work.

Too many broths will confuse the cooks.

Way too many Indians with no sign of any chiefs.

Free lunches are such things of daydreams.

Beware the folly of returning gifts to a Greek.

Never judge a cover by its book.

Cut twice--measure once.

A falling man should hit the ground with pride.

Always check a gift horse’s mouth, or you might
get screwed.

If it is free in life, too often it’s not the best.

Remember it’s a man who makes the clothes.

It is never better than when you’re habitually late.

You will never find it as you seek it.

You certainly can be hurt by the mysterious unknown.

Early worms always evade silly birds.

You can teach old tricks to a new dog.

A bush in the hand is worth two birds 
in a tree.

Do not hatch your chickens before they
are counted.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

13 comments:

Jilly said...

This is charming!! I especially like the broths / cooks - which reminds me, I need to make dinner :) So glad you shared this, Glenn!

Frank Hubeny said...

I especially liked the one about returning gifts to a Greek and those early worms.

said...

This one's my favorite: "Cut twice--measure once."

Vivian Zems said...

This is a delightful read. I'll print this off and give it to me kids!

Frank J. Tassone said...

A steam-roller of repurposed adages! Nice!

qbit said...

Lol! Great revisions and much truth in the humor!

Dwight L. Roth said...

Love your twists! They are perfect!

Unknown said...

Well done - my head is spinning now, trying to undo them.

Kim M. Russell said...

So many twists and all clever and funny, Glenn. I especially like 'Too many broths will confuse the cooks' and I couldn't help giggling at 'A bush in the hand is worth two birds
in a tree'.

brudberg said...

Oh I love them all... they are all better than the originals, amazing how you can make them better by turning them around.

Katie Mia Frederick said...

Questioning
Adages
Subtracting
Lies
Adding Truths
For
Whatever's
Left in Adages Right..;)

purplepeninportland.com said...

Great ones, Glenn! My favorites are the gift horse and the worms.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Good ones, Glenn! You took the prompt literally and played with it. I like them all and LOVE so many of them. You really, in my mind, nailed a good one with "A falling man should hit the ground with pride."
I took the part about obscuring them a lot more literally so I really mixed them up in mine...challenge to find them! :)