Thursday, June 19, 2008

Herbie Hancock Said


Being a musician is what I do, but it's not what I am.
Herbie Hancock

But I have to be careful not to let the world dazzle me so much that I forget that I'm a husband and a father.
Herbie Hancock

But, the truth is that everyone is somebody already.
Herbie Hancock

Creativity and artistic endeavors have a mission that goes far beyond just making music for the sake of music.
Herbie Hancock

Creativity shouldn't be following radio; it should be the other way around.
Herbie Hancock

Getting the Oscar had the biggest impression on me.
Herbie Hancock

I feel a lot more secure about the directions I take, than I might have, had I not practiced Buddhism.
Herbie Hancock

I think I was supposed to play jazz.
Herbie Hancock

I think there's a great beauty to having problems. That's one of the ways we learn.
Herbie Hancock

I try stuff. I synthesize what's of value with some of the other things I have at my disposal.
Herbie Hancock

I try to practice with my life.
Herbie Hancock

I'm always interested in looking forward toward the future. Carving out new ways of looking at things.
Herbie Hancock

I'm always looking to create new avenues or new visions of music.
Herbie Hancock

I've been a religious, spiritual person for a long time.
Herbie Hancock

In the past, there's always been one leader that has led the pack to development of the music.
Herbie Hancock

It is people's hearts that move the age.
Herbie Hancock

It pulled me like a magnet, jazz did, because it was a way that I could express myself.
Herbie Hancock

It's not exclusive, but inclusive, which is the whole spirit of jazz.
Herbie Hancock

It's not the style that motivates me, as much as an attitude of openness that I have when I go into a project.
Herbie Hancock

Jazz has borrowed from other genres of music and also has lent itself to other genres of music.
Herbie Hancock

Jazz is about being in the moment.
Herbie Hancock

Miles' sessions were not typical of anybody else's sessions. They were totally unique.
Herbie Hancock

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language.
Herbie Hancock

Music is the tool to express life - and all that makes a difference.
Herbie Hancock

Nobody told me I was a child prodigy.
Herbie Hancock

One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing.
Herbie Hancock

One thing that attracted me to Buddhism was the support for this larger vision of values.
Herbie Hancock

See, there were certain rules I'd always used, and people like Trane, they would break those rules.
Herbie Hancock

Since time is a continuum, the moment is always different, so the music is always different.
Herbie Hancock

The music becomes something that is its own entity.
Herbie Hancock

The spirit of jazz is the spirit of openness.
Herbie Hancock

The thing that we possess, that machines don't, is the ability to exhibit wisdom.
Herbie Hancock

The value of music is not dazzling yourself and others with technique.
Herbie Hancock

The value of music is to be able to play one note at the right time in the right way.
Herbie Hancock

We are eternally linked not just to each other but our environment.
Herbie Hancock

When I was coming up, I practiced all the time because I thought if I didn't I couldn't do my best.
Herbie Hancock

When I was in my early teens, I remember coming to the conclusion that your life never ends.
Herbie Hancock

While knowledge may provide useful point of reference, it cannot become a force to guide the future.
Herbie Hancock

Without wisdom, the future has no meaning, no valuable purpose.
Herbie Hancock

You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom.
Herbie Hancock

You can practice to learn a technique, but I'm more interested in conceiving of something in the moment.
Herbie Hancock

You would not exist if you did not have something to bring to the table of life.
Herbie Hancock

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Without wisdom, the future has no meaning, no valuable purpose.
............Herbie Hancock
Unfortunately, it's wisdom that inevitably leads to this very realization
...........Smartallica