Thursday, June 19, 2008

Vincent Van Gogh Said


A good picture is equivalent to a good deed.
Vincent Van Gogh

An artist needn't be a clergyman or a churchwarden, but he certainly must have a warm heart for his fellow men.
Vincent Van Gogh

As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed.
Vincent Van Gogh

But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.
Vincent Van Gogh

Conscience is a man's compass.
Vincent Van Gogh

Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.
Vincent Van Gogh

Even the knowledge of my own fallibility cannot keep me from making mistakes. Only when I fall do I get up again.
Vincent Van Gogh

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.
Vincent Van Gogh

Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.
Vincent Van Gogh

Great things are not done by impulse, but a series of small things brought together.
Vincent Van Gogh

Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.
Vincent Van Gogh

How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?
Vincent Van Gogh

I am still far from being what I want to be, but with God's help I shall succeed.
Vincent Van Gogh

I can very well do without God both in my life and in my painting, but I cannot, suffering as I am, do without something which is greater than I am, which is my life, the power to create.
Vincent Van Gogh

I dream my painting, and then I paint my dream.
Vincent Van Gogh

I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.
Vincent Van Gogh

I experience a period of frightening clarity in those moments when nature is so beautiful. I am no longer sure of myself, and the paintings appear as in a dream.
Vincent Van Gogh

I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.
Vincent Van Gogh

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.
Vincent Van Gogh

I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
Vincent Van Gogh

I see drawings and pictures in the poorest of huts and the dirtiest of corners.
Vincent Van Gogh

I wish they would only take me as I am.
Vincent Van Gogh

If boyhood and youth are but vanity, must it not be our ambition to become men?
Vincent Van Gogh

If one is master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time, insight into and understanding of many things.
Vincent Van Gogh

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing.
Vincent Van Gogh

It is better to be high-spirited even though one makes more mistakes, than to be narrow-minded and all too prudent.
Vincent Van Gogh

It is not the language of painters but the language of nature which one should listen to, the feeling for the things themselves, for reality is more important than the feeling for pictures.
Vincent Van Gogh

Love always brings difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy.
Vincent Van Gogh

Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.
Vincent Van Gogh

One may have a blazing hearth in one's soul and yet no one ever came to sit by it. Passers-by see only a wisp of smoke from the chimney and continue on their way.
Vincent Van Gogh

One must work and dare if one really wants to live.
Vincent Van Gogh

Painting is a faith, and it imposes the duty to disregard public opinion.
Vincent Van Gogh

Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul.
Vincent Van Gogh

Poetry surrounds us everywhere, but putting it on paper is, alas, not so easy as looking at it.
Vincent Van Gogh

The best way to know God is to love many things.
Vincent Van Gogh

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
Vincent Van Gogh

The more I think about it, the more I realize there is nothing more artistic that to love others.
Vincent Van Gogh

The way to know life is to love many things.
Vincent Van Gogh

There is no blue without yellow and without orange.
Vincent Van Gogh

There may be a great fire in our hearts, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke.
Vincent Van Gogh

There may be a great fire in our soul, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke.
Vincent Van Gogh

Those Dutchmen had hardly any imagination or fantasy, but their good taste and their scientific knowledge of composition were enormous.
Vincent Van Gogh

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
Vincent Van Gogh

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars.
Vincent Van Gogh

No comments: