Friday, February 6, 2009

Admired Ally



Admired Ally

I noticed the light outside the window
shimmering of the salmon pink dawn
graced by this light I thanked father sky
for it had been a night too long

why was I so tired I asked him
he laughed out loud like a baboon
when you hunt as a tiger
and your belly goes empty
certainly you'll sleep as one too

sigh, he was always right
yet such an ally, talents to honor
abilities to praise, he was many things
of earth medicine and animal totems

worthy, strength, and compassion
things I admired in him
he was not to be taken lightly
respect for life is more than sand

he tells me allies are all around
and are in their proper time
he shows me the forest of many trees
and tells me to look around

the elm, the ash, and the oak
the cypress, the pine, and the fir
some drop their leaves
to fall's cool nights
and some stay evergreen

within them they know, he whispers
coded within their cells
they are not dying, but growing inside
branches of strength to hold snow

and what I asked, should this mean to me
perhaps dear spirit, you should know your allies
if they are ash, or noble fir
for their strengths can only be medicine to you
when they are within their season

Deborah J. Rosenberg

No comments: