Thursday, February 26, 2009

Here I Am



Here I Am


I am deep in memorizing and rehearsing my one woman show.
I have to get it to the level muscle memory.
I will be deep in show until it opens on March 12th.
Then I'll be doing five shows a week
at the Wells Fargo Theater at the Autry Museum in Griffith Park in LA.

I am more challenged than I have ever been in my life.
I am learning focus and belief.
As I move through the script, a one woman show I wrote:
Wings of Night Sky, Wings of Morning Light, as an actor,
I can see more than ever how these stories we bring into the world
are not just us. The writer is the catcher, the caretaker.
Most of what happens during creativity is below
and way above the surface. We are not the sole author, of anything.
I remain in awe of the process.
The story is a being.

An actor becomes the story,
along with the production crew, the stage and the audience
as well as the atmosphere of each performance.
And in this story the actor will also play saxophone and sing,
with Larry Mitchell on guitar and effects.
Exciting, and absolutely terrifying!


Joy Harjo February 2009

No comments: