Thursday, March 12, 2009

Diva Lorraine's Delirium Tremens Aria



Diva Lorraine's Delirium Tremens Aria


I'm not drinking, only sipping,
dainty sips begun at dawn.
I sip wine to feel like Jesus,
who drank wine just like I do.

I sip wine from crystal goblets,
dry white wine as clear as rain.
Now it's raining and I'm happy.
All I need's some Johann Strauss.

It's still raining, getting dark out,
time to pour and light some candles.
No, I've never burned the house down,
like those alcoholics do.

Swarms of violins are blazing,
and I take a silver spoon,
tap the goblet, start it chiming,
not like alcoholics do.

And I've never been to jail, nor
gotten smashed and smashed the car, nor
screwed the dogs down on the corner,
like those la la la la la.

Now it's midnight in the kitchen.
I waltz there to pop a cork.
I flip on the light switch, and the
pretty dots
on the linoleum
floor
begin crawling
all over
my feet.

-- Harvey Goldner

No comments: