Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Plan Called Liberty



A Plan Called Liberty


Liberty is like a river that knows no bounds;
swells and contracts as it makes its way
to the vast roily sea.
The sea is a metaphor for all tears cried.
Like when Liberty died.
I guess being composed and centered is like majestic
mountain over there, splayed out in front of azure skies,
the color of your mother’s eyes.

Liberation is participating in the vision described above.
As it is, the river of my body chugs along
and has an inkling of unclogged rivulets running,
no.. rushing, rushing up and down my arms and legs.
Living in oppression is like being my ankles
pleading with my blood to climb up into my heart
where hope lives, pumping.
Hope is like hearing the beats of your own drumming
heart steady and defiant.
.

When you’re filled with hope, you are the river.


Janet Leigh March 2009
.

[From _A Tale of Two Verbs_ a work in progress]

2 comments:

Glenn Buttkus said...

Your body, your soul, your country, your world, rolling red, white, and blue; and the sea salt within you matching womb wetness and ocean depths, your fibra mialga sitting in your shadows, ready to reach out with its dark fingers of pain to color your world with grays, the beiges, the duns, the earth colors that appear when any the chakras are activated, as your close your lovely lids and see this crazy world through thermal, cutaneous, and olfactory input, the world from a poet’s eyes, that even when closed create poetry from what still enters and mixes in the maternal and magnificent mire of your unique perceptions. Thank you.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

Actually, it should be me thanking you for taking such an interest in my meager scratchings in a world full of more accomplished wordsmiths than I can ever hope to be; I'm a mere grain of sand in the grand scheme of things in this vast universe, Glenn. But you, you always make me feel like I've written something wonderfully special. You cause me to know that you've connected with whatever energy or vibrational plane I may have reached momentarily and most temporarily. You do a soul good and I'd like to purchase your entire stock of goodness, Glenn.. :-) Thank you for putting this piece on your blog as I always feel honored to be included in your stellar showcase of exceptionally talented poets.

Now tell me, how did you manage to take this photo of me sunbathing in my favorite neck of the woods, eh?!? heh heh