Thursday, March 12, 2009

Song Quest Two



Song Quest Two


A weight has lifted.

I feel like I’ve finally laid down my rucksack and rifle
to drink my fill of the first water I’ve had in 24 hours.
Then slept a good sleep while my socks dried out.

My belly’s full.
My comrades all made it through too.
(I’m allowing my music to flow with ease, not struggle.)

The garden where I played my guitar and sang
under broad palm leaves earlier tonight
was strewn with white lights.

A girl no older than six insisted
I take a dollar for a tip.
I’m rich now!

I skipped running yesterday and the day before.
Skipped it! But am quite over that guilt now.
As I mentioned, a weight has lifted. I feel reborn.

Today I will be one with the trees and the river as I walk.
I will drown in the smell of the earthen mulch.
Drink in the birdsong.

I might even run.
All the more fun that it’s raining a bit.
The UVs will not age me!

Then I’ll get a muffin and a coffee.
I hope the muffins will be fresh;
even the supermarket is skimping lately.
They probably think no one notices. But I do.
Still, I forgive them. Times are tough for many.

After my coffee-muffin who knows what could happen?
I could discover Paris right here at home.
Find a quiet lane where a cat sunning by a gate
comes to let me pet him.

Do a fandango in the soup aisle.
I want to write a song about…..
I’m not sure.

I want to write a song as good as ”Tears In Heaven,”
“The Girl From Ipanema”
or “The Rainbow Connection.”
I wanted to write “Blowing In The Wind,”
but Dylan beat me to it. Dang it.

Universe, where are the words to my melody?
Where is my answer?
In me, of course.
But, where?
And what?



Jannie Funster March 2009

No comments: