Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Grandmother, Porcupine, Traffic



Grandmother, Porcupine, Traffic

When Big Mom saw porcupine
dead in the middle of any road
she ordered the car stopped.

Big Mom stopped
traffic as she stepped in the road
and dragged the old porcupine

from the pavement. The crushed porcupine
thick with quills, but that never stopped
Big Mom. Beside the road

she pulled quills from its skin. The road
filled with slowed cars. The porcupine
full of blood, stopped

and cold. Big Mom never stopped
long enough to notice the road
had ceased to be road. The porcupine

would always be porcupine
no matter that its heart had stopped.
Its sharp quills were more useful than a road.

I never stepped in the road
with Big Mom and porcupine.
To this day, I have neither stopped

nor slowed my life, never stopped
to pull porcupine from the road
because I loved procupine.

Big Mom loved porcupine
even as she grew too old to have the car stopped
and cried as she left porcupine alone on the road.


Sherman Alexie..........from The Summer of Black Widows

3 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Whoa, that last stanza really got me, as I've been sitting here today in my mid-45th year thinking I'm jsut shy of halfway to the other side now.

Its's jsut a freaking blip, Bitch, jsut a blip.

But what a pleaseant blip it can be.

(Sorry, nwely reformed on correcting tyops.)

Glenn Buttkus said...

Hi Jannie, thanks for reading by. Alexie has been my favorite poet and writer for over a year now. I just cannot get enough of his work, his verve, his anger, and his humor. Good for you for not worrying about typos.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

I want summary of this poem