Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Geronimo--Apache called Goyathlay



Geronimo--Apache Called Goyathlay

I was warmed by the sun, rocked by the winds and sheltered
by the trees as other Indian babes. I was living peaceably
when people began to speak bad of me. Now I can eat well,
sleep well and be glad. I can go everywhere with a good feeling.

The soldiers never explained to the government when an Indian
was wronged, but reported the misdeeds of the Indians. We took
an oath not to do any wrong to each other or to scheme
against each other.

I cannot think that we are useless or God would not have created us.
There is one God looking down on us all. We are all the children
of one God. The sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening
to what we have to say.

When a child, my mother taught me to kneel and pray
to Usen for strength, health, wisdom and protection.
Sometimes we prayed in silence, sometimes each one prayed aloud;
sometimes an aged person prayed for all of us... and to Usen.

I was born on the prairies where the wind blew free
and there was nothing to break the light of the sun.
I was born where there were no enclosures.

Geronimo - Apache

The song that I will sing is an old song, so old that none
knows who made it. It has been handed down through generations
and was taught to me when I was but a little lad. It is now
my own song. It belongs to me. This is a holy song (medicine-song),
and great is its power. The song tells how, as I sing, I go
through the air to a holy place where Yusun (The Supreme Being)
will give me power to do wonderful things. I am surrounded
by little clouds, and as I go through the air I change,
becoming spirit only.

Geronimo--Apache

No comments: