Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ten Bears--Yampariko Comanche


Painting by Kirby Sattler

Great Spirit - I want no blood upon my land to stain the grass.
I want it clear and pure, and I wish it so, that all who go
through among my people may find it peaceful when they come,
and leave peacefully when they go.

Ten Bears - Yamparika Comanche

I was born upon a prairie where the wind blew free and there
was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where
there were no enclosures and where everything drew a free breath.

I want to die there, and not within walls.

Ten Bears - Yamparika Comanche

My heart is filled with joy, when I see you here, as the brooks
fill with water when the snows melt in the spring, and I feel glad,
as the ponies are when the fresh grass starts in the beginning
of the year.

I heard of your coming, when I was many sleeps away, and I made
but few camps before I met you. I knew that you had come to do
good to me and to my people. I look for the benefits,
which would last forever, and so my face shines with joy,
as I look upon you.

Ten Bears - Yamparika Comanche

No comments: