Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Snow, Snow




Snow, Snow


We've got 9 1/2 inches of the stuff
Nice day today,
the sun is coming out.
Booted up (my feet)
and walked about a mile to the store.

Over dressed because
the family seems to think
that this is some kind disaster area
and we should hide in a bunker
until it's over.
So I got back almost as sweaty
as if I had ridden 20 miles on the Peugeot.

Squirrels leaping and surfing
through the snow.
Birds pecking away at the stuff
fallen out of the feeder
while bigger birds hog it.
Cat refuses to go out side at all
(except for the litter box
we've kindly placed on the porch)

I don't remember ever
having a white Christmas here


Doug Palmer December 2008

4 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Really - your first white Christmas there?

What about Global Warming, tho? How are the polar bears doing?

Lane Savant said...

As far as I can remember, we've never had a complete snow cover exactly on the day itself.
Lots of near misses and sometimes with patches of the stuff on the ground.
Yeah, what about
Golbal Warming
Is that just some more political bullshit?
Bruno and Walter are ecstatic.
We're almost out of Purina Polar Bear Chow.
And the neighborhood cat population seems to be waning.

Anonymous said...

Bruno and I just want to thank whoever is responsible for the end of the heat wave.
We'd love to have you over for dinner sometime.
Anytime, really

.........Walter Bear

S.L. Corsua said...

I'm always fascinated with snow poems like this one, which depicts a realistic scene at home, with a mention of people's sentiments about it. I've never seen snow (in person); Christmas is just cold at best where I am. No hail, no icy rain. So thank you for sharing this. It's a vicarious experience for me. Cheers. Have a blessed new year ahead.