Monday, May 11, 2009

The Garage


The Garage

On these summer nights I play
Ping-Pong with my brother-in-law,
A couple of beers condensing
On the tool shelf, the Giants game
Coming in loud and clear
On the paint-spattered shop radio
And tonight I’m working quite seriously
On my troublesome forehand,
Giving more concentration than usual
To the problem of topspin.

Today a woman on our street,
Running late for work, backed up
Her SUV and rolled over
Her three-year-old son. All day
I’ve thought of her as she goes
Through the hours, living in that remote,
Astonishing place she has discovered,
Someplace wholly new
Where few of us have ever ventured,
And as I trot down the driveway
To retrieve an errant smash
I realize that the sheer speed and pressure
Of her passage out of the world
I’m living in tonight, and into the blazing
Spaces where she is traveling
Far beyond me, like the blue fleck

Of a satellite, utterly alone,
Is what makes the lighted mouth
Of the garage, with its beer and ball game,
Its smell of oil and gas, its cardboard boxes
Of family history, seem like a sweet
Refuge, a cave I return to gratefully,

Holding the white moon of the ball—
A fragile, weightless thing.





Copyright by George Bilgere
Poems from The Good Kiss
Winner of the Akron Poetry Award
(through the Akron State University Press)
Posted over on the Bilgere Home Page

No comments: