Monday, May 25, 2009

Poem of the Issue


POEM OF THE ISSUE

Everyone knows that
Austin is a city in space,
its beacons flashing
through the deepest dark.
People are drawn here.
for realignment,
stay till it's time to leave
then step off onto
those roads of light
and continue their journey.

Albert Huffstickler, "The Simple Truth" 6-25-93
Published in the Austin Chronicle, July 9, 1993

Note, added Dec. 22, 2002. I just was informed that Albert Huffstickler died earlier this year. I was sorry to hear it, as I have heard many good things about him as a person, not to mention his poetry. The following is his last poem, written while he was in St. David's Hospital, Austin, Texas, in February 2002:

Tired of being loved,
tired of being left alone,
tired of being loved,
tired of being left alone.
Gonna find myself a new place
where all I feel is at home.

He died the next day.

Posted over on Hieran

No comments: