Thursday, May 21, 2009

Five Pansy Poems, Poem, Pansies


Five Pansy Poems, Poem, Pansies


Pansy One

pansy, pansy in the ground
dancing in your velvet gown
here’s a poem to satisfy
all the poets passing by

Pansy Two

Diane broke the special pansy mug
I sent her back in my wildsummer days
of the Reliant Transportation System,
beach runnings and golden sealing wax.
I’ve never been able to find another
just like it and I feel I’ve failed her.
Have you seen a china one, embossed,
a mug as light as wedding cake and
shinier on the outside than wet seaglass?
Of so, please send c.o.d. with froths
of angels’ lashes and the salt of their
tears to P.O . Box 160821 Austin TX
78716. And I’ll mail you back my heart.

Pansy Three

I had no intention of writing pansy poems
or even of thinking about their little faces
today but my site stats show people are
hungry for pansy poems, as they are
hungry for world peace and the memory
of tea with grandmother’s lemon pie.
Wow, I’ll be a “Super” Semi-Somebody
with all these pansy seekers flooding in!

Pansy Four

Mom planted pansies in the shade
beneath the horse chestnut tree –
but they grew! I remember we felt
so successful. That was the summer
Uncle Jim visited from a distant galaxy
called Massachusetts — bringing
yellow metal swings for the boys and
a glass tea set for me. I think I was
eight or nine. It was also the summer
there was no ice cream left for the
strawberries to impress the guests
with after the fancy Sunday dinner
because we kids had pilfered it all.
And probably a summer of new flipflops
and a beachball too, if I dig any deeper
than I’ve already digged into this.

Pansy Five

Long-live pansies, Leonard Cohen’s daisies
and all twinkle shooters everywhere, waiting
with bouquets of freshly-cut kisses for me!

Jannie Funster May 2009

Posted proudly over in Funsterland

No comments: