Thursday, November 12, 2009

Green Shoes


GREEN SHOES


She took off her green pastel shoes,
Asked,
“What shall I do with them?”
She held her shoes in her hands.
I was wondering why this concern
Over a matter so commonplace.
I replied, “Throw your green shoes
On the white rug, green and white
Often make exciting combinations.”
She looked at me, puzzled and perplexed.
I thought it might be something psychological,
Her giving all this attention to shoes.
So I suggested that if she did want
To confront the evidence that she was barefooted
To throw the shoes under the bed.
She said, “You do not understand.”
I could not understand what she referred to,
What was it that I could not understand.
She threw the shoes into the air;
The green shoes stayed suspended in the air.
Then I knew I did not understand.
I did not understand.


Duane Locke

Posted over on Bedosa

No comments: