Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Astrophel and Astrophil Are Connected


ASTROPHEL AND ASTROPHIL ARE CONNECTED


I found in a drawer that had been stuck shut
for several years, a silver necklace.

Something like a silver tusk hung from the end.
The person

Who gave the necklace to me,
knew I was a conservationist;
would not have accepted the necklace
if it had been ivory.

She, the giver, told me,
if I never took the necklace off,
wore it in the shower, wore it all night,
I would someday have a vision,
a vision of the promised land.

I was not concerned with the promised land,
as I was happy with where I was,
although it is not a very pleasant place,
as the library has only two books by Descartes.
I often wondered how many books of Descartes
would the library in the promised land have.

Once in a state of despair after searching
three hours for a misplaced copy
of Milton’s “Lycidas,”
I started to put the necklace on and perhaps
receive in my vision a map to the promised land.
I kept remembering Dr. Johnson’s comment
that “Lycidas’ was “easy, vulgar,
and therefore disgusting,” so I overcame
the temptation to wear the necklace.

She who gave me the necklace, always
asked why I did not wear it.
I never answered, but changed the subject
to discuss the Horatian Ode,
or the implications and historical development
of Sir Philip Sidney’s observation
when he called himself a fool
and told himself to look in his heart
and write in his “Astrophil and Stella,” or
“Astrohel and Stella”
(Spelling depends on the scholar).

She finally deserted me, telling me
she was going to the promised land.


Duane Locke

Posted over on The Hold

No comments: