Saturday, November 13, 2010

Wherever Love Shall Find You

Image by Jannie Funster


Wherever Love Shall Find You

To my five modern poetry books:
who might think I’m dropping you
in a basket on the orphanage steps
or casting you off like some old
pants with a big rip in the arse.

So, I’m telling them how ruffling your pages is
like ruffling my child’s hair on a morning walk.

How the sweetness of my time with you
I’ll always remember like the afternoons
Grammy let me shake the warm donuts
in a brown paper lunch bag full of sugar.

Poetry books, you might
think I do not love you.

But it is because I love you I am about
to sail you and mail you to new homes
where new hearts and new shelves will
dance with you in ways I can’t imagine.

Jannie Funster

Posted proudly over on her site Jannie Funster

No comments: