Monday, February 7, 2011

Buk

Painting by Kylie Harris


Buk

Bukowski wrote "thousands" of poems, some of which
are not that impressive. Still he wrote them, and
one needs to read them because each one, each word
brings you closer to the wrecked alcoholic hulk
sexist barfighter poet he was. Reading him does help
me to have more faith in my own scribbling
as long as I don't lament that I have not actually
published jack shit, and even if I did, so what,
it wouldn't make a dime, and yet undeterred,
I can see myself, like when I was an actor,
out there in front of an audience, reading my
own work at Poetry Slams, at open mic readings,
at festivals, on street corners, in men's rooms while
holding towels for jack off artists and fags, on the steps
of the capitol building in Olympia, in that little park
adjacent to the old TAG building, down the street
from the Pantages in Tacoma, during Sumner Pioneer
days, at pow wows, at picnics, during break-ins,
at theaters while plays are being performed,
in women's bathrooms while they are doing mysterious
tinkling in their stalls, in restaurants in the kitchens
while cooks are bustling over fryers and burning toast,
in the back seats of police cars while they are in pursuit
of stupid street racers, standing next to drug dealers
while they play pocket pool and await their next score,
in cemeteries during funerals, in coffee houses
over in the corner by the CD's and books,
in public libraries projecting my lines with stentorian
aplomb, in hardware stores next to rakes and shovels
when I am not standing near to the paint aisle, or
the nuts and bolts, at the fish canneries wherever I can find
them, like that dinky one on the Quinault Indian
Reservation in the shithole of Taholah, or that park
next to the Public Market,
when I am not competing with those smiling dudes
who toss fish and catch them for the tourists--
and my raspy voice matches his own, salivating as I work
my tongue over my words.

Charles Bukowski, whom I doubt I would have liked,
probably would have found myself in a fistfight with,
sharing his strong arms and bad complexion, perches
heavy on my chest tonight, daring me to step out into
the alley, but I still appreciate the audacious raunchy riffs
he set into the muddy currents of literature, and perhaps
even Harvey Goldner would agree, or Bobby Byrd might,
that Bukowski is necessary for us all,
part of our poetic rite of passage, and hell--
he lived to be 74 years old, even though he lived
like a drunken wharf rat and probably never gave
a crap who was president, or how much the price of oil
vexes the rest of us; but come to think of it,
every once in a while, when he was not too fixated
on pussy, wine, beer, his cock, rats and roaches,
he did make some noise about the injustices
and inequities he witnessed during sobriety,
between bar bitches, when he could hold his food down,
and he felt good enough to walk to the store, or shave,
so hey, who am I to be fixated or focused on his life,
his poetry, his broads? This is probably just another
poetic phase I'm going through, although I must
say I have come back to Bukowski several times
this year.

Glenn Buttkus

February 2011

Listed as #46 over on dVerse Poets--Open Link-Week 22
Listed as #13 over on Magpie Tales 52

Would you like to hear the Author read this poem?


12 comments:

Shari said...

I read it, I listened to it. I laughed. I was shocked. I double checked to see if it was really your magpie. Didn't see a picture of a little green house. But I didn't care. I don't know exactly why, but I'm a fan! You did make me curious about the other guy.

Tess Kincaid said...

They say he was the Poet Laureate of Lowlife. I must admit, I wondering how the green house fit in here, but no matter. Thanks for reminding us of Bukowski.

Kristen Haskell said...

What a textured person he was and you must be also. Such images I now have.

Trulyfool said...

Glenn,

When I visited L.A. after Bukowski's death, it was clear he had established a following which saw him as a kind of 'movement founder'.

Reading him, he's better than one would think.

I don't think I'd like him either.

The movie Barfly had Mickie Rourke portray him, and B later wrote a novel against the movie industry because of it.

There's a good documentary on B which shows him not as some guru, which I believe he wouldn't think himself being, but as a shleppy sort of drinker with a wandering woman. Who could write interesting things about a 'level' of life I wouldn't want to live.

TFool

Glenn Buttkus said...

TF: Yes, glad you caught the gist
of my rant, my paean, my left-handed
compliment to Hank. I have a copy of
the DVD documentary on him, and I
agree it shows him to be merely a
flawed human being with a flare for
free verse.

Kathe W. said...

holy crapola....what a post!

Trellissimo said...

You must have an odd mind if one picture of a small, green house can produce this...

Ann Grenier said...

Left handed compliment...hmmm...boy you fooled me. Will you be managing anyone's political campaign; at least we wouldn't be bored to tears :-)

Claudia said...

this made me smile...not sure if you read my OLN intro over at dVerse..i included the first bukowski poem i ever read and which made me cry..and there are days i can't stand his poems and on others i want to drown in them.. but now to yours..enjoyed it a lot..and you really read your poetry in men's rooms while holding towels for whoever..? this is frickin' awesome..cool write..

Mark Butkus said...

Glenn,
This is brilliant. You captured Hammerin' Hank in all his ugliness and beauty. I'm glad I kept my Buk poem under wraps for this week's edition of the dVerse pub. Yours is that good!
Cheers,
Mark Butkus

Brian Miller said...

dude he is one of my favs...he gives me hope honestly and he tells the truth (as he sees it) and yes you see the man who was broken and see his cracks which is what i love about him...reading your poems in the bathroom is awesome...lol

Pat Hatt said...

Wow great post, sounds like he really lived down in the dumps. But then rats and roaches make good eating so I hear, since my cat never complains..haha