Thursday, September 1, 2011

Red Brolly


Image from Bogac Erguvens

Red Brolly

I can't believe the day's turned out like this.
It was not meant to rain. Not floodgate time.
I'm too conspicuous with this red brolly -
would have been, had there been anyone about.
My secretary's. Gives electric shocks -
the brolly does, not her. It's static, see?
No waterproof, no jacket, shirt-sleeves me.
Shoes full of water, having a wet lunch -
wrong sort of, not the sort I'd choose at all!
And now I'm lost, a karzy of a place,
a muggers' paradise, I have no doubt.
Gives me the creeps. I must get out of here.
That bike tempts me... perhaps I should half inch it?
Wonder whose it is... if the owner's near...
Padlocked. Like those two damned gates... had hopes...
I thought they'd take me to the trains... kids said.
But no such luck... so which way's back? God knows!
The whole damned place, a shitty, damp dead end!
This isn't what I do. I sell sunshine,
lift people out of clouds and sell them life.
My life's an advert for Abundant Life.
What am I doing in this death hole here,
waving this red useless brolly at the gods?

Dave King

Posted over on his site Pics and Poems
Listed as #73 over on Magpie Tales 80

No comments: