Saturday, February 11, 2012

Music Lover


image borrowed from bing

Music Lover

Music has been with me
on bright days and dark nights.
It’s better than a dog because—
contrary to “American Pie” by Don McLean--
it never does die.

My whole my life I’ve loved music
the way a man might love a woman.
Our relationship has been at times
mood-altering, gentle and tender,
rough or passionate, sometimes angry,
loud, clashing, soft again, sweet,
screeching like a cawing bird, twanging,
thumping, pounding, heart-fisting,
symphonic, shimmering, serene.

And music is like muscle memory.
There’s music for every mood, every emotion.
It can set you up, take you out at the knees.
It can be one of the best parts of your day.
For instance, when you’re angry or edgy,
there’s no better remedy than playing
“Bulls on Parade” by Rage Against the Machine,
and playing it so loud
that your windshield shudders.

I once heard Tony Bennett say,
“Without music, life wouldn’t be worth living.”
While that sounds a little severe,
he’s not far off the mark.
Music is a treasure too easy
to steal or take for granted.
Music is a blessing, bliss.
It’s been with me longer than any friend.
So, I’ll tell you straight away,
without even a twinge of embarrassment--
I’m in love, and there will be no separation.


Len Kuntz

Posted over on Murder Your Darlings

No comments: