Thursday, August 21, 2008

1990 Ch. F.


Painting by Bill Jaxon

1990 Ch. F.


Darkness fled the light's beam
and for two beats of the heart
I thought your ribs rose

A quiver of the hand
and the inconstant light
gave the illusion of life.

You did not stir

I'm sorry; I stroked your hair
glistening red in the faint illumination
your mother stood by and watched

A whippoorwill sang in the distance
I have seen this before and thought
I would be unmoved

A birth alone in the darkness
a stirring of huge forms....
beneath, cold, wet--fear

Your mother struggles to her feet
to drive them away
but they are too many

You rise from instinct
but the ground falls away
you rise again and again

The last attempt brings you
to the bottom of exhaustion
cold and wet, you lie and wait

I wanted to be with you
the .44 gleaming
understudy of injectible death

But you died alone
Never able to find your mother
I stroke your mane and weep

Graceful legs destined to
carry you at light-speed stretch
endlessly from your small body

What expanse of earth
did you stride and gather yourself
for that final leap

© 1995 Rod Smothers All rights reserved

No comments: