Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Love Me Two Times


Photograph by Alex Shapiro

Love Me Two Times

Whether flying over
this archipelago
or gliding past
each island on the water,
any inconvenience
in the many…many hours
it takes
to get where you want to go
just fades
into the peacefulness
of being where you are
at that moment.
Ahhhh.

What can I say?
This life is not
for everyone,
but for those who are
not everyone,
it is sublime.

This weekend,
my first visit back
to Paradise Cove
in Malibu
since moving,
I anticipated twinges
of melancholy and regret,
remembering the fabulous years
of my life
spent here
creating music
and friendships
and a closer bond
with the sea.

Instead,
facing
the beautiful crashing ocean
and looking upward
to squadrons
of my beloved pelicans
that regrettably don’t choose
an air traffic pattern
over the San Juans,
I just felt blessed
to have made my new home
in such a gorgeous,
bridgeless,
spot on the Earth.

Alex Shapiro August 2008

No comments: