Thursday, December 3, 2009

Heavy Lifting


Dylan Thomas


Friend Rick Mobbs send me an email today, and the postscript on it read:
"...but when it comes to the heavy lifting, we still send for the poets..."
I had never heard that before, and I love it; kind of reminds me of that critic reviewing Brian Turner's HERE, BULLET who mentioned, "If we want to really understand war, we need to send poets into the war zone." Or the inset on Bobby Byrd's blog site, "It's good time to be a poet, I think, but the pay is still shitty." And then Duane Locke said, "The function of the poet is to take a language of lies and turn it into a language of truth, which will always be mysterious, mystic, and inexplicable..."

This web site is a lot of things--pictorials, essays, short stories, song lyrics, bios, political pieces--but what it mostly is, and shall remain, is poetry. Nothing new in this. There are tons of blog sites out there that feature poetry, and ezines and chapbooks galore. But I really enjoy sorting through the miasma of possibilities and chosing those poets and those poems that resonate with me. Can you believe that in three years I have posted over 5,000 individual things on here! Anyway, for you poets out there, or wannbe poets, or poetry lovers....have a great day.

Glenn Buttkus

No comments: