Monday, December 7, 2009

Resurrection of Time Now Dead By a Poet Going Blind, 69


Painting by Doug Lehnhardt


Resurrection of Time Now Dead By a Poet Going Blind, 69


Today I felt as if I were alone
without a cell phone
In a car stalled on a road
that bordered on west Canada.

There was snow on the road,
snow on the hood.
There was snow behind,
one each side a white forest.

I scraped the snow off the road sign,
the sign, blank,
Letters faded away long ago,
never repainted.

I had headed for the same destination
many times, but this time I must have
made a mistake, made a wrong turn.

I had entered the unfamiliar
whatever the unfamiliar was.
I felt through a mistake I had found
what I was looking for.

A snow owl came out of the white forest,
swooped over my head,
left his shadow on my hands.

I held this darkness in my hands,
This darkness was loving and warm.


Duane Locke

Posted over on Poetry Billboard

No comments: