Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Sound of a Circle on End of Curtain Cord as It Touches the Glass of a Window Pane


Painting by Nancy McCarthy


THE SOUND OF A CIRCLE ON END OF CURTAIN CORD AS IT TOUCHES THE GLASS OF A WINDOW PANE


The susurrations made by the woven circle
dangling on the end of a curtain cord
as it sways against the glass of a window pane
brought luxury and abundance into silent room.
The sound was a soft sound
like the sound of suction made by an egret
when walking across a white ooze
lifts its yellow feet out of the white mud.
The sound of the curtain cord against glass
brought the seashore to my dry white floor.
I sipped my twilight wine, forgot about
the uniformed men with walkie-talkies
and shotguns that had been walking up and down
my street all afternoon.
I heard in my mind the scurry of sandpipers
on a shoreline.


Duane Locke

Posted over on 4*9*1

No comments: