Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Wanting Soil


The Wanting Soil

1.
My neighbor has a garden full of filth. Tomatoes choose their shape for a reason. Vines, tendrils spread unsuspecting soil to gain entrance; I know how they throb (not personally, of course). Zucchini, eggplants swollen purple. Watermelon full of seeds. Husky corn poking into the air, looking for clouds to part. I know what's on his mind. "Eat" indeed. "Grow," yes. I've seen him out there; I know what he's up to, and I'll have none of it. No matter how much stink of sex his roses dump into the air. No matter how much of Father's sun his lascivious garden eats.

2.
My neighbor has a garden full of filth.
Tomatoes choose their shape for a reason.
Vines, tendrils spread unsuspecting soil
to gain entrance; I know how they throb
(not personally, of course).
Zucchini, eggplants swollen purple.
Watermelon full of seeds.
Husky corn poking into the air,
looking for clouds to part.
I know what's on his mind.
"Eat" indeed.
"Grow," yes.
I've seen him out there;
I know what he's up to,
and I'll have none of it.
No matter how much stink of sex
his roses dump into the air.
No matter how much of Father's sun
his lascivious garden eats.

--CL Bledsoe

Posted over on Eat A Peach

1. Cortney's inspired prose poem.
2. Line breaks by Glenn Buttkus

No comments: